The rebirth of lawrence.com was Feb. 20, 2003, just on the cusp between Aquarius and Pisces—voodoo chiles, indeed.
Our print alter ego—a.k.a the "Deadwood Edition"—was manifest July 22, 2003 (with a circulation of 11k) and died along with much of the world economy in 2009 after 246 issues.
Shortly after the iPhone came out, we tricked out our mobile site appropriately for this new, welcome internets era.
Combined with the Journal-World, we all comprise one happy fam that wins awards and has even made it into the news ourselves a few times—including The New York Times, NPR , and American Editor (PDF). The online portion of the fam is growing in leaps in bounds thanks to former lawrence.comrades Adrian Holovaty (who left to work at the Washington Post and later start up his own internets outfit) and Jacob Kaplan-Moss (who now works for this start-up), as well as all the current back-end guys in our online department, Mediaphormedia — all of whom created and continue to nurture the Django Project, which is the backbone for the Ellington platform — a content management system for news organizations, including this one.
Today, we continue in our quest to be a top-shelf news and culture crüe worthy of the truly inspiring creative community that is Lawrence, Kansas.
Of course, whatever our incarnation, we appreciate your support!
Thanks in advance for taking the time to send us feedback, love letters, hate mail, story ideas, letters to the editor, review copies of CDs, DVDs, video games ... really anything short of anthrax and the like (unless it's some of this Anthrax, in which case that would be totally awesome).
c/o Lawrence Journal-World
645 New Hampshire Street
Lawrence, KS 66044
Letters to the editor
Use this form to send us queries, concerns, story suggestions, information for dissemination, self-righteous indignation, and so forth.
Contact the World Company at 785-843-1000. All area codes below are also 785.
Submit your events with this online form or email updates to datebook [at] ljworld [dot] com.
- Runner up, Best Entertainment website, less than 1 million unique monthly visitors - Editor and Publisher, 2010
- Best Local Guide or Entertainment Site, Circulation Less Than 75,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2008
- Best Entertainment Site, Circulation Less Than 75,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2007
- Best Design and Site Architecture, Circulation Less Than 75,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2007
- Best Overall Design of an Internet Service under 1 million - Editor & Publisher, 2006
- Best this and that (and 2nd and 3rd best this and that) for various things, most notably verifying that our own Richard Gintowt and Tim vonHolten are truly badass, as are our stringers Sarah Smarsh and Misty Nuckolls - Kansas Press Association, 2006
- Best Entertainment Site, Circulation Less Than 50,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2006
- Best Design and Site Architecture, Circulation Less Than 50,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2006
- Best Home Page User Experience, Circulation Less Than 75,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2005
- Best Entertainment Site, Circulation less than 75,000 - The Newspaper Association of America, 2004
- Best Entertainment Site, less than 1 million unique visitors - Editor & Publisher, 2003