dec 2

PoDank String Band / Devil Eat GroundHog

Granada

Split Lip what? With everyone's favorite bluegrass band MIA at this year's Walnut Valley Festival, Tulsa's PoDank String Band was the new king of the castle. Though they might be mistaken for a punk band by the looks of them, PoDank is firmly rooted in bluegrass's traditions - and that's what allows them to break the rules at will. Incorporating a punk rock energy and a blues-informed swagger, PoDank's "bastard grass" is a firm reminder that properly handled fiddles and banjos can bring down the house like a Marshall stack can only dream of.

Comments

Nick Schmiedeler 15 years, 4 months ago

Podank is cool. Seen them many times, including their lo-fi sets on Stages 5 and 7 at Winfield 04. Tons of energy, not SLR energy, but kicking their own thing. Nice sound, and the lead dude has a relaxing, soft-spoken type of twang singing thing going on. A decent group definitely worth a look-see.

Fowler 15 years, 10 months ago

Caution: the download page at getdanked.com requires users to accept a download from '180 solutions' company to access. That's spyware! Beware.

Roadkill_Rob 15 years, 10 months ago

I've heard these guys live and they kick ass. Of course they're not Split Lip, but who is? I don't think the fellas on lawrence.com were comparing these guys to SLR anyhow. They were saying that PoDank picked up the slack from Split Lip's absence in Pecan Grove this year. They are totally different bands in my opinion and they both have their own style. The only similarity is that PoDank usually covers a Split Lip song (Never Make it Home) from time to time. I highly recommend PoDank to anybody who enjoys a good live show.

Tim vonHolten 15 years, 10 months ago

you can't really compare these guys to slr. or the meat purveyors, for that matter. or the hackensaw boys. i've only heard live audio, but based on that, these guys seem pretty weak.

webdank 15 years, 9 months ago

Hey Fowler, the spyware download has been corrected. As soon as I realized that spyware ads were being used I deleted the popup code, but I must have missed that page.

SickBastard 15 years, 10 months ago

For anyone interested, PoDank's website is www.getdanked.com - It has great audio and video from the band.