Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival 2005

featuring String Cheese Incident / Wilco / Son Volt / Calexico / Neko Case / Ozomatli and more

Clinton State Park

WIN TICKETS here.In just its second year, Wakarusa may well put itself on the map as one of the best summer festival stops. With bigger draw headliners like Wilco and String Cheese as well as more balanced bill between jam and everything else, this may be the year where Wak moves from being a convenient stop on the way home from Bonnarroo to an anticipated destination in its own right.Ticket prices vary; a chance to win tickets may be experienced here.Featuring:° Alphabetical artist line-up here° Stage scheduleWilcoSon VoltCalexicoNeko CaseOzomatliHackensaw BoysThe GourdsJunior BrownGalacticMartin SextonXavier RuddOld Crow Medicine ShowChubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp BandSound Tribe Sector 9Big Head Todd & The MonstersJazz Mandolin ProjectKarl Denson's Tiny UniverseGov't MuleUmphrey's McGeeNorth Mississippi AllstarsParticleLittle FeatMofroSplit Lip RayfieldDonna the BuffaloThe SamplesNew MonsoonRailroad EarthMoonshine StillPerpetual GrooveShanti GrooveGaraj MahalHot Buttered Rum String BandTea Leaf GreenGreyhoundsBlueground UndergrassRobert Bradley's Blackwater SurpriseAri HestMatisyahuALO(Animal Liberation Orchestra)John Brown's BodyDeep Fried Pickle ProjectThe SchwagThe Jeff & Vida BandTruckstop Honeymoon...more TBA

You might have heard

Song Artist
Anything To Do With The Moonlight Arthur Dodge and the Horsefeathers Add to playlist
Creature of the Night Arthur Dodge and the Horsefeathers Add to playlist
Day The Train Jumped The Tracks Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist
Drink Lotsa Whiskey Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist
Heart of Darkness Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist
Hundred Dollar Bill Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist
Never Make It Home Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist
Rig or Cross Split Lip Rayfield Add to playlist

Comments

local_support 15 years, 11 months ago

What a bunch of whiney losers we have here. God forbid you show some support for your local music festival or open your ears and listen to something new. Every genre of music is being represented at this thing and I'm shocked at the lack of appreciation for that. I know you guys like to hear the same songs in the same order night after night (just like that CD you bought at the Love Garden last week!) but maybe it's time to expand your palettes beyond songs about breaking up with your girlfriend/boyfriend and being an oppressed middle class white kid in America.

As for the comments about Bonnaroo vs. Wakarusa tickets to the Roo are almost $200, Wakarusa is half that. With Bonnaroo you get three days of music, with Wakarusa you get six. (Including the pre-parties on Tuesday and Wednesday at The Bottleneck and Liberty Hall, FREE to festival pass holders, my what greedy bastards those promoters are) Plus as someone who has been to ALL the Bonnaroos I can tell you that 90,000 people crammed together on a pigfarm with five mile hikes to the stage and open puddles of piss surrounding the concert field gets old really quickly. By contrast Wakarusa is clean, well-organized, and relatively uncrowded. Anyone that has been to both can tell you this.

Lawrence is damn lucky to have something like this happening and it's a shame that most of you can't see that.

sirensong 16 years, 1 month ago

tweedy and farrar are coming to our town! that's the best news i've heard all year.

Shelby 16 years, 1 month ago

An Uncle Tupelo reunion would be a life event for me, and many others I'm sure. I had a dream about this once.

joemite 16 years, 1 month ago

I am disappointed to see that tickets are so expensive for the relative lack of "A list" bands. Compare the artist list to Bonnaroo. Yes Bonnaroo tickets are a bit more expensive than Wakarusa, but you get MUCH more bang for your buck. I appreciate that Wakarusa is trying to have something for everybody, but if they are going to have Wilco, they should balance that out with Trey Anastasio and/or Alison Krauss or even Widespread Panic. I'm paying big name prices : where are the big names? I may be at Wakarusa, but chances are I'll go to Telluride.

billypilgrim 16 years, 1 month ago

Wilco is for sure coming. I verified with it with their web-site.

mystic 16 years, 2 months ago

I can't beleive you all are bitchin about a weekend of music and festivites right near lawrence. How about being grateful you arent traveling to see the shows, at least. This is exciting stuff! By the way, its in June, not July. Hippies, music and camping, you cant beat it. PEACE!!!!!

smerdyakov 16 years, 2 months ago

I'm not convinced Wilco will be there. Son Volt should be...Wakarusa's on the band's site. Not on Wilco's site. Nor is Wilco on Wakarusa's site. As far as I can tell, it's just been announced buried in the concert calendar email from Pipeline Productions. Perhaps a ploy to sell a bunch of tickets before the 'mistake' is cleared up? Regardless, I'll be asking for a money-back guarantee in the event that Wilco doesn't play. Remember the Donnas?

wilson 16 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, if last year is any indication, it will be a few months before we find out that it was "Wilco the Yak" that was on the bill, not THE Wilco.

strait 16 years, 2 months ago

The lineup looks great. Camping in July with thousands of hippies sounds awful, though. Saw Farrar at the Bottleneck a couple months ago. I think he could take Tweedy.

Nick Spacek 16 years, 2 months ago

I hurt. I have to pay HOW fucking much to see Wilco, Ozomotli, and Neko Case?

Maybe Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy will get into a fistfight.

Rob Gillaspie 16 years, 2 months ago

Why all these hippie bands mixed in with the good shit? I feel like I'm paying out the ass to sweat it in a patula paradise... But I'm still going, cuz I'm a SUCKER.

dncinnanc 15 years, 11 months ago

Totally agree with local_support... I only went to one day of Wak fest last year, and had a blast... I had never heard of half the groups I saw, but they were still awesome, and the crowd was cool too... very friendly and polite, everyone there to have a good time. Plus the beer sponsor is New Belgium, makers of my beloved Sunshine Wheat beer... while most outdoor concerts jack the price of bevs up, they were selling their 20 oz draws for $3, less than most bars in town charge. I bought my tix early this year, for the $69 price, and I can't wait to do the whole weekend-thing this year!

Aardvark 15 years, 10 months ago

hey all, i recently moved to O P, KS for work, and no one i work with wants to go to wakarusa (i guess they fear the hip culture). i've never gone to a festival by myself, so i'm not sure how that would work out, i don't see myself wandering around like a puppy between strange camp sites all weekend, so if anyone's feeling charitable to this situation...anyone need an extra person to go to the festival with? this is wierd, but i lived on phish, the dead, galactic, moe, MMW, local jam bands, etc. throughout college and i never knew about this festival until i got here and i really want to go. i've been to limestone, maine twice, farm aid, bonnaroo, moedown(which i'm going to again this year), etc. and i'd really like to add this fest to my list. hell, i'll even wash dishes. so umm, i guess call me at 913-227-3641 if you're interested. no axe murderors need apply.

local_support 15 years, 10 months ago

Hey Aardvark I would check the Wakarusa messageboard. It looks like there are quite a few people flying solo to the festival. You can find the messageboard here: http://www.forum.wakarusa.com/

You shouldn't miss out on such an extraordinary event that's in your own backyard. Good luck!

RHYTHMPHISH 15 years, 10 months ago

As someone who has been to the first 3 Bonnaroos (which with good reason I stand absent this weekend) and someone who has attended the first Wakarusa, I feel I have a valid say in the matter. All of you Nay-Sayers and whiny kids need not borrow your mommy and daddy's cars/credit cards and show up @ The Best Music Fest I and Many People Have Attended ( I have more shows & Fests under my belt than a lot of you angst laden "misunderstood" adolescents have pimples) Instead why not sit home in your room with the shades drawn and suckle @ the conveniently Pre-Homogenizede teet of the MTV pausing @ commercial breaks (of which I assure you plenty) to write in the "window to your soul" that is your journal about how Misunderstood and acne covered you are. i.e..Dear, Diary Nobody likes me, everybody hates me. Guess I'll go eat worms ( or become one of the pasty faced pubescent vampires that are "Goth Kids".) Or waste your time Blogging about things you are to simple to understand. @ any rate Please do not pollute a Growing Healthy Enviroment with your negativity and obvious lack of exposure to anything other than what you have been force fed. Wakarusa Rules! Lawrence, Ks Rules! Pretty much everything rules but you...:) One Love, Blessed Be..Can I get a Witness? Jacob