...wherein we listen to what Lawrence's movers and shakers are moving and shaking. to.
- Joe Pass, "Joy Spring"
- Interstring, "Odahoda"
- Andy Timmons, "Resolution"
- Fredrik Thordendal, "Sol Niger Within"
- Allan Holdsworth, "Road Games"
...wherein local TV connoisseurs intimate what keeps them on their couches.
- The 'L' Word I'm catching up on DVD, if that counts. You have to be able to talk about The 'L' Word and which girl you are if you're going to pick up girls at the bar. It's the Sex and the City for queer girls.
- The Office The American version: Because what's better than working in a cubicle? Watching people working in a cubicle.
- Grey's Anatomy and House (tie) Bad late-night soap opera medical shows give me something to talk about with my students. Since I don't listen to popular music, TV is the pop culture common denominator.
Currently reading: "Full Dark House," by Christopher Fowler "A great British period mystery. It has very quirky, older detectives and strange, kinky murders in a theater setting."
One book everyone should read: One book everyone should read: "Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder," by Richard Louv "It's about helping media addicted children rediscover their sense of awe about the natural world."
Top 20 Oscar Party Tips
1. Invite friends and acquaintances
2. Do not invite strangers or Tim Hardaway
3. Arrange exotic cheese tray
4. Do not arrange cheese on naked Asian man
5. Candles set a sophisticated mood
6. Talking Boba Fett action figure does not
7. Provide well balanced wine selection
8. Do not serve wine in beer helmets
9. Red door mat a whimsical stand in for red carpet
10. If the mat is red from goat's blood, not so whimsical
11. Make light hearted critiques of guests' clothes a la Joan Rivers
12. Immediately regret that decision when several guests begin crying
13. Sculpt Oscar statuettes out of chocolate
14. Do not sculpt statuettes out of Vaseline
15. Print out full lists of nominees and ask guests to make predictions
16. Do not print out Proustian memoirs and ask guests to copy edit
17. Award a prize to guest with most accurate predictions
18. Make sure that prize is not a dented can of processed meat
19. Devise drinking game to play throughout the broadcast
20. Do not include rule regarding Ellen DeGeneres' unfunny jokes without having a stomach pump on premises