...wherein we listen to what Lawrence's movers and shakers are moving and shaking. to.
- Gucci Mane "Back to the Trap House"
- OJ Da Juice Man "The Otha Side of the Trap"
- The Winner's Circle
- Ducoh "Just Pay Me Mix Tape Vol. Duece"
- Rich the Factor "Buck Over Fame"
...wherein local TV connoisseurs intimate what keeps them on their couches.
- Cheers "I watch a lot of shows on DVD, because television today has turned into utter garbage. I watch shows that I grew up with to study what made them successful. 'Cheers' is 'Friends' 5 years ahead of its time. 'Cheers' is about a retired baseball player who owns a bar in Boston. What drew me to the show was its astronomically different characters who all drank from the same keg. That's a philosophy for life—we all breathe the same air, we all live the same life, we all share the same dream. Sure, it was just a show about beer swilling bar flies in Boston, but you find reality at the bottom of the ladder.”
- Frasier “It was a spin off of ‘Cheers.’ I followed it because Kelsey Grammer had played the same character for so many years that he stopped being Kelsey Grammer—he became Dr. Frasier Crane. He did it with class and never turned it into garbage. That’s how you should approach life. Find your passion and run with it.”
- Stand Up Comedy “I'm a big fan of stand-up comedy. I recently saw my favorite stand-up, Doug Stanhope, at the Jackpot Saloon. I own his DVD. That man doesn’t even do stand-up, he just gets trashed on stage and presents reality. None of it is an act. I respect his art and approach everything that I do with the same kind of intensity.”
Currently reading: “My Most Secret Desires” by Julie Doucet “It’s a mildly pornographic graphic novel and it’s really interesting. It’s a series of dream sequences the author had, more or less. They range from her birthing kittens instead of babies to her having sex with herself. There’s one where she’s an astronaut, and her mom sends her a box of cookies, and she uses the cookies to masturbate in space. That seems like a really bad idea. You don’t want crumbs down there. Besides, it ruins the cookie.”
One book everyone should read: Book everyone should read: “The Illustrated Man” by Ray Bradbury “It’s a collection of short stories that are science fiction-ish, but more mind f*ck-ish. They make you reconsider a lot of things about society and why you do what you do. There’s one about two children and the parents who give them everything they want. In one of the rooms they have a projector that turns the room into whatever environment they pick. The kids get angry at their parents one day because they’re denied something for the first time. They trick the parents into going into the room with the projector, which is now an African veldt filled with lions. The story ends with the smell of blood drifting out of the room. It’s really creepy.”