Sunday, July 9, 2000
Single tickets are on sale for the Lied Center's 2000-2001 season.
The season is marked by the final phase of the Cultural Countdown to the Millennium Project, which will highlight Asian influences in the performing arts, and the debut of the World Series.
The season will begin at 7 p.m. Aug. 25 with a free concert on the northeast lawn of the Lied Center. An information fair featuring various arts and community organizations will begin at 6 p.m.
The season includes:
- Vienna Symphony Orchestra, with pianist Rudolf Buchbinder, 8 p.m. Nov. 3.
- Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, 8 p.m. Nov. 14.
- Moscow Festival Ballet in "Giselle," 8 p.m. Feb. 3.
- "Aida," an opera by Verdi performed by Teatro Lirico D'Europa, 7 p.m. March 11.
- Mezzo-soprano and Kansas University alumna Joyce Castle and baritone Kurt Ollmann in "The Music of Leonard Bernstein," 8 p.m. April 10.
Swarthout Chamber Music Series
- Ying Quartet, 3:30 p.m. Sept. 24.
- Violinist Jennifer Koh, 3:30 p.m. Oct. 8.
- Accentus, an a cappella ensemble of 32 singers, 3:30 p.m. Nov. 12.
- Takacs Quartet, a classical string quartet, 3:30 p.m. Feb. 11.
- Berlin Chamber Orchestra, 8 p.m. March 13.
New Direction Series
- Gate Theatre of Dublin, with Samuel Becketts' "Krapp's Last Tape," 7 p.m. Oct. 1, and "Waiting for Godot," 8 p.m. Oct. 2.
- "Dracula: The Music and Film," original music by Philip Glass, performed by Glass and the Kronos Quartet, 8 p.m. Nov. 2.
- Diavolo Dance Theatre, 8 p.m. March 15.
- Mark Morris Dance Group, 8 p.m. April 3.
Broadway and Beyond Series
- "Anything Goes," with music and lyrics by Cole Porter, 8 p.m. Sept. 23.
- "Man of La Mancha," a musical based on the Miguel de Cervantes book, 8 p.m. Oct. 13.
- "Show Boat," the Oscar Hammerstein musical, 8 p.m. Nov. 16.
- Trinity Irish Dance Company, 8 p.m. Jan. 20.
- "Chicago," a Broadway musical with music by Kansas City native John Kander and choreography by Ann Reinking, 8 p.m. Feb. 2.
Lied Family Series
- "The King Stag," with costumes, mask, puppets and choreography by Julie Taymor, 8 p.m. Nov. 9.
- The St. Petersburg State Ice Ballet in "Cinderella," 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. Dec. 2.
- "Peter Pan," a musical, 7 p.m. Feb. 23.
- Girls Choir of Harlem, 7 p.m. April 22.
- "Kwaidan: Three Japanese Ghost Stories," by conceptual artist Ping Chong, puppeteer John Ludwig and designer Mitsurs Ishii, 8 p.m. Aug. 31.
- "Songs of the Wanderers," by Cloud Gate Dance Theatre, an Asian contemporary dance company, 8 p.m. Oct. 19.
- Kodo Drummers, an ensemble of Japanese drummers, 8 p.m. Feb. 20.
- Drak Puppet Theatre, an avant-garde theater group from the Czech Republic, 6:30 p.m. April 25 and 7:30 p.m. April 26-27.
Tickets are available at the Lied Center Box Office, 864-ARTS; Murphy Hall Box Office, 864-3982; Student Union Activities Box Office, 864-3477; KU Medical School Bookstore; Ticketmaster outlets, (785) 234-4545 or (816) 931-3330; and the Lied Center Web site, www.ukans.edu/~lied.