Producer: No violence on 'Big Brother 3'

Wednesday, July 3, 2002

Contestants on CBS' third round of "Big Brother" have been warned not to fool around � with knives.

Arnold Shapiro has told the show's 12 incoming houseguests that he and fellow executive producer Allison Grodner will not tolerate violence or threats of violence.

"We have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to violence," Shapiro said. "We don't want to lose another houseguest."

Shapiro's warning comes a year after he and CBS executives expelled "Big Brother 2" player Justin Sebik midway through the show's summer run after he put a knife to the neck of fellow contestant Krista Stegall.

The zero-tolerance policy on violence also was in effect last year, he said.

As in past editions, "Big Brother 3" will present 12 strangers who live in a house outfitted with hidden cameras and microphones. Their actions will be monitored around the clock for three months.

The houseguests are cut off from the outside world, and each week eject one of their number. The game's $500,000 jackpot goes to the last player standing.

CBS will reveal the identity of this summer's contestants on July 5, the day before they enter the house. The first installment of "Big Brother 3" will air 8 p.m. July 10.

Fans will see minor changes in "Big Brother 3" compared with last summer. The players will live in the same home, which Grodner said designers have tweaked by adding Asian-themed decor. However, this year, in contrast to last, the producers will not resupply contestants who run out of cigarettes.

CBS' "Early Show" news anchor Julie Chen will continue as the series' host and will interview evicted houseguests.

Shapiro characterized this season's contestants � plucked from some 6,000 applicants � as competitive and ruthless.