Saturday, November 23, 2002
Music will fill the air this weekend in the Lawrence area. Performances by the Moscow Boys Choir, Rossetti String Quartet and the Lawrence Youth Symphony are on tap. Here are some other activities to check out:
- Woodwind concert featuring KU and Kansas State University music faculty, 1 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art, KU.
- Lawrence Youth Symphony, 2 p.m., Central Junior High School, 1400 Mass.
- St. Petersburg String Quartet, 2 p.m., Lied Center, KU.
- "A Book of Days," 2 p.m., The Theatre, Carlsen Center, Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park.
- "Video Screening: Wendy Ewald Projects," 2 p.m., The Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, 4420 Warwick Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "The Christmas Schooner," 2:30 p.m., Lawrence Community Theatre, 1501 N.H.
- "You Never Can Tell," University Theatre, 2:30 p.m., Crafton-Preyer Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU.
- Lawrence Men's Chorale, fall concert, 3 p.m., Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.
- Topeka Symphony Orchestra, 3 p.m., White Concert Hall, Washburn University, 17th and Jewell streets, Topeka.
- Percussion Ensemble, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall, KU.
- Swing dance, 9 p.m.-1 a.m., with salsa and swing lessons, 7 p.m.-9 p.m., Dance Academy, 1117 Mass.
- Houston, 9 p.m., The Hurricane, 4048 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Don Mumford and Friends, 10 p.m.-1:30 a.m., Eighth Street Tap Room, Eighth and New Hampshire streets.
- Mini train and carousel, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays, Topeka Zoo, 635 S.W. Gage Blvd., Topeka.
- "Tallgrass Spirit, Prairie Renewal," Dana Hassett and Judith Mackey, through
Monday, Phoenix Gallery Topeka, 2900-F Oakley Ave., Topeka.
- "Spiritual Journeys Exhibition: The Art of Robert Sudlow," through Nov. 30, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.
- Collage watercolors by Susan Ellis Oviatt, through Nov. 30, Collective Art Gallery, 3121 S.W. Huntoon, Topeka.
- "Dreaming of Cows," works by Shakura Jackson, through Nov. 30, New Works Gallery, Kansas City Artists Coalition, 201 Wyandotte, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Secret Games: Wendy Ewald Collaborative Works with Children, 1969-1999," through Dec. 8, Kansas City Museum, 3218 Gladstone Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Days of the Dead," through Dec. 9, Museum of Anthropology, Spooner Hall, KU.
- "Wrapped Words: Handmade Books from Cuba's Ediciones Vigia," through Dec. 15, Spencer Museum of Art, KU.
- "Beyond Oz: Children's Book Illustrations from the Region," through Dec. 15, Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, Kansas State University, 701 Beach Lane, Manhattan.
- "Ansel Adams Photographs from the Collection," through Dec. 29, Spencer Museum of Art, KU.