Friday, August 22, 2003
Ray says brother will be back
Los Angeles -- "Everybody Loves Raymond" star Ray Romano said holdout co-star Brad Garrett likely would return to the CBS sitcom.
Work on the new season began this week without Garrett, who's asking for a bigger paycheck. He was written out of the first episode.
"You know we want him back as soon as he can get back. And, you know, we want everything back to normal and I'm sure it will be," Romano told the syndicated program "Entertainment Tonight."
Just say no to plastic surgery
New York -- Plastic surgery isn't necessarily the answer for women who want to change their looks, says Jamie Lee Curtis.
The actress, who most recently starred in a remake of "Freaky Friday," won't say specifically what surgery she's had, but says, "I did all of it in attempting to stave off (aging)."
The result: "It made me look worse and feel worse. What they say works doesn't," Curtis says in the Sept. 1 issue of People magazine, in which stars including Roseanne Barr, Sharon Osbourne and Dolly Parton discuss the work they've had done.
School named for Salsa Queen
New York -- Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced a new high school named in memory of "Queen of Salsa" Celia Cruz.
The DeWitt Clinton High School-Lehman College Celia Cruz Bronx High School of Music is scheduled to open in September. The 90 students enrolled this year will take academic classes at DeWitt and their music classes at Lehman College, where the music school will be located.
"It is a great honor to her and a way to remember the contribution she made to the community and gives all those who hold her in their hearts the feeling that she lives on and that she's a part of us," Bloomberg said Wednesday.
The Cuban-born Cruz died last month from a brain tumor at 77.
Johnson has beef with customs
Berlin -- A lawyer for Don Johnson said he was preparing a damages claim against the German Finance Ministry over an incident in which customs officials found documents listing transactions totaling $8 billion in a car in which the actor was traveling.
Johnson is complaining of damage to his reputation because his name allegedly was made public by officials at the ministry, which oversees customs authorities, Hamburg-based lawyer Matthias Prinz said Wednesday.
His car was stopped for a routine check as he entered Germany from Switzerland last November with two other men. Officials photocopied the documents but didn't seize them. They allowed Johnson to continue his trip.
Johnson has said the statements weren't his, but were from potential investors for a movie project.
In May, German customs investigators said they'd determined the documents belonged to another person who had remained in Switzerland, and said no offense had been committed.