Saturday, February 1, 2003
This weekend's entertainment opportunities run the gamut from sainthood to swordplay. In Lawrence, a band of musicians will perform a musical drama based on the life of Kentigern, Saint Mungo of Scotland, while "Zorro" takes the stage in Kansas City, Mo.
- "Slapstick Circus," 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., Andrew J. and Georgia Neese Gray Theatre, Washburn University, Topeka.
- "The Dinner Party," 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., American Heartland Theatre, Crown Center, 2450 Grand Blvd., Suite 314, Kansas City, Mo.
- "In the Footsteps of Freedom with Harriet Tubman," 2 p.m., Theatre for Young America, 4881 Johnson Drive, Mission.
- "Zorro," 2 p.m., Coterie Theatre, level one of Crown Center Shops, 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Guys and Dolls," 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., Spencer Theatre, UMKC Performing Arts Center, 4949 Cherry St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Wichita Chamber Players, 4 p.m., The Birger Sandzen Memorial Gallery, 401 N. First St., Lindsborg.
- "Cash on Delivery," 6 p.m. dinner show, 8 p.m. show, Topeka Civic Theatre, 3028 S.W. Eighth Ave., Topeka.
- "Pair Up for Sculpture!" 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Creative Arts Center, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak St., Kansas City, Mo.
- John Jervis, classically trained guitarist, 7 p.m.-9 p.m., Paradise Cafe, 725 Mass.
- Game Time, 4th and Long, 13 Low Kei, Short Changed, 7 p.m., El Torreon, 3101 Gillham Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Eric Vaughn, magician, 7:30 p.m., Ottawa Municipal Auditorium, 301 S. Hickory St., Ottawa.
- DownBeat/UMKC Conservatory Jazz Festival, 7:30 p.m., White Hall, UMKC Performing Arts Center, 4949 Cherry St., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Mikado," KU Opera, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall, KU.
- "Funny Money," 8 p.m., Lawrence Community Theatre, 1501 N.H.
- "Kentigern, Saint Mungo of Scotland," 8 p.m., St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1229 Vt.
- Cordelia Brown at piano, 8 p.m.-10 p.m., The Lodge, Baldwin.
- Les Violins du Roy, 8 p.m., Yardley Hall, Carlsen Center, Johnson County Community College, 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park.
- Trumpeter John McNeil Quartet, 8:30 p.m., The Blue Room, 18th and Vine streets, Kansas City, Mo.
- Salt the Earth, Daryl, Slowride, Kelpie, 9 p.m., The Bottleneck, 737 N.H.
- Pomeroy, The Essence, 9 p.m., The Granada, 1020 Mass.
- Max Jones and the Joyriders, with Joshua Upshaw, 9 p.m., Paradise Cafe, 728 Mass.
- Vibralux, 9 p.m., The Hurricane, 4048 Broadway St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Larry McCray, 9 p.m., Grand Emporium, 3832 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Blue 88, 9 p.m., Stu's Midtown Tavern, 925 Iowa.
- The Hardaways (CD release party), Ghosty, 10 p.m., Replay Lounge, 946 Mass.
- The Bel Airs, 10 p.m., The Jazzhaus, 926 1/2 Mass.
- Brunch & Music, noon-3 p.m., Rozzelle Court, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak St., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Art of the Lega" guided tour, 1 p.m., Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, 4525 Oak St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Phil D. Jones, fiberwork "Comin' Home" reception, 3 p.m.-5 p.m., The Collective Art Gallery, 3121 Huntoon, Topeka.
- Norma Jean, mewithoutyou, Beloved, Flattery Leads To Ruins, 7 p.m., El Torreon, 3101 Gillham Road, Kansas City, Mo.
- Project: Wet, 9 p.m., The Hurricane, 4048 Broadway St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Don Mumford and Friends, 10 p.m.-1:30 a.m., Eighth Street Tap Room, Eighth and New Hampshire streets.