Sunday, January 26, 2003
Unless otherwise noted, all events are free, open to the public and require no advanced registration.
- Public discussion with leader Janet Mody, retired Lawrence High School English teacher, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Feb. 4, Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt.
- Public discussion focusing on food and culture with leader Dan Wildcat of Haskell Indian Nations University, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Feb. 11, Lawrence Public Library.
- Reading, book signing and reception with Tom Averill, author of "Secrets of the Tsil Cafe," 7 p.m. Feb. 24, Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.
l Discussion with Averill on "Being a Published Kansas Author," 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Feb. 27, Lawrence Public Library.
- Writer's Workshop with Averill, 9:30 a.m.-noon March 1, Lawrence Arts Center. Advance registration and fee required. Call 843-ARTS.
- Cooking demonstration and discussion with Nancy O'Connor and Averill, 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. March 5, Community Mercantile, address. No fee, but advance registration is required. Call 843-8544.
- Fine Film Cuisine film series, 7 p.m. Fridays in February, Lawrence Public Library. The lineup: Feb. 7, "Babette's Feast" (1987); Feb. 14, "Eat Drink Man Woman" (1994); Feb. 21, "Big Night" (1996); and Feb. 28, "Chocolat" (2000).
Averill also will be appearing on several television programs:
- On a "Jayni's Kitchen" segment, Averill and Jayni will prepare recipes from "Secrets of the Tsil Cafe." The program will air at 6:30 p.m., 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Feb. 18 and repeat at 8:30 p.m. Feb. 19, 20, 21 and 24, as well as 9:30 a.m. Feb. 22 and 23 on Sunflower Broadband Channel 6.
- An interview with Averill on Greg Hurd's "River City Weekly" will be aired at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19 and repeated at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 20, 21, 24 and 25, as well as 9 a.m. Feb. 22 on Sunflower Broadband Channel 6.
- On an episode of "All in Good Flavor," Tony Nave prepares food similar to that in Averill's "Secrets of the Tsil Cafe." The program will be shown at least once, probably several times, between Feb. 24 and March 5 on Channel 19 public television. Viewing times will be announced later.
- Two North Lawrence Mexican restaurants will feature special foods in February in support of Read Across Lawrence and "Secrets of the Tsil Cafe." La Tropicana, 434 Locust St., Maggie Del Campo, owner, will serve "Salsa Boracha" (drunken salsa made with beer). El Matador Cafe, 446 Locust St., Joe Reyes, owner, will feature an item to be announced.