Thursday, July 17, 2003
A lot of rock musicians take political stands. But how many of them show real courage? The "Wide Angle" (8 p.m., PBS) presentation "Junoon: The Rock Star and the Mullahs" follows Salman Ahmad, the lead guitarist for the popular Pakistani rock group Junoon as he travels to the Islamic fundamentalist stronghold of Peshawar where a coalition of religious parties have used their power to banish music. No, this is not "Footloose"; it's the return of Taliban-style craziness to a dangerously unstable corner of the world.
America's most over-publicized Hollywood romance gets a one-hour examination on tonight's "Dateline" (9 p.m., NBC). Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck will sit down for their first interview together and discuss their forthcoming film "Gigli."
The guilty-pleasure five-part special "101 Most Shocking Moments in Entertainment" (9 p.m., E!) wraps up tonight with the top-20 shockers. This series is worth watching just for the witticism from BBC talk show host Graham Norton.
Tonight's other highlights
The globe trotting continues on "Amazing Race 4" (7 p.m., CBS).
- Contemporary talent joins venerable performers, and they boogie-oogie-oogie till they just can't boogie no more on "The Disco Ball" (7 p.m., ABC).
- Martin Lawrence and Will Smith star in the 1995 comedy "Bad Boys" (7 p.m., WB).
- A robotic competition leads to real live murder on "CSI" (8 p.m., CBS).
- A couple (Harry Hamlin, Annie Potts) are stalked by a psycho who claims to be the husband's secret crush in the 1995 thriller "Her Deadly Rival" (8 p.m., Lifetime).
- A popular teacher disappears on "Without a Trace" (9 p.m., CBS).
- Scheduled on "Primetime" (9 p.m., ABC): charity scams; a profile of the late Laura Rothenberg.
Ross and Rachel hire a sensitive male nanny (Freddie Prinze Jr.) on "Friends" (7 p.m., NBC) ... Wrestling on "WWE Smackdown" (7 p.m., UPN).
Amateur acts, delivered with dispatch, on "30 Seconds to Fame" (7:30 p.m., Fox) ... On back-to-back episodes of "Will & Grace" (NBC): Will's boss (Gene Wilder) returns (7:45 p.m.), Jack stalks Kevin Bacon (8:25 p.m.) ... Shepard Smith is host of "The Pulse" (8 p.m., Fox).
Departing White House press secretary Ari Fleischer and singer Beyonce on "Late Show with David Letterman" (10:35 p.m., CBS) ... Jay Leno welcomes Sean Connery on "The Tonight Show" (10:35 p.m., NBC).