Tuesday, June 10, 2003
Actress, director wed
London -- Actress Kate Winslet and director Sam Mendes have married, a spokeswoman said Monday.
A statement released on the couple's behalf said they wed last month during a holiday in the West Indies. Winslet's daughter and three close friends attended the private ceremony.
It's the second marriage for "Titanic" star Winslet and the first for Mendes, director of "Road to Perdition."
She split from first husband Jim Threapleton in 2001 after three years of marriage. Their daughter, Mia, is 2.
Winslet, 27, has been nominated for three Academy Awards -- as lead actress for "Titanic" and as supporting actress for "Sense and Sensibility" and "Iris."
Mendes, the 37-year-old former artistic director of London's Donmar Warehouse theater, won an Oscar for his first film, 1999's "American Beauty."
Los Angeles -- Hollywood is full of movies talked about, but never made. But this chatter from Daily Variety is too delicious to ignore.
Sylvester Stallone reportedly plans to write, direct and star in a film about the 1996 shooting deaths of hip-hop legends Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls. Stallone will play a Los Angeles detective involved in an investigation linking off-duty officers to the killings.
New York -- Valuable heirloom or valueless junk? A new host will preside over the answers to those questions on "Antiques Roadshow."
Lara Spencer, a correspondent for ABC's "Good Morning America," will start on the PBS program when production begins July 12 in Savannah, Ga.
She replaces Dan Elias, who quit after three seasons to devote more time to his art gallery in Boston.
"Antiques Roadshow," PBS' most popular prime-time series, travels the country offering free appraisals of antiques and collectibles.
"As a longtime fan of 'Antiques Roadshow,' I can't wait to be part of the process," said Spencer, a former local news reporter in New York who chiefly does feature stories for the ABC morning show.
New York -- They won't be cracking skulls on "The Sopranos" any time in 2003, reports The New York Daily News. In fact, the critically praised HBO drama may not appear until February or even March 2004, according to show creator David Chase.
Yet the interminable wait might have some upside for the millions of loyal followers who have been suffering from "Sopranos" withdrawal since the fourth season finale in December: extra episodes.
Chase says it's likely the show will extend beyond the planned 13 episodes in the coming season.
"I'd planned out an arc for Season Five that would have ended the show," Chase said. "But as we're getting into it, we're finding there's a lot more material. We could cram it into 13 episodes, but I don't know that it's the right thing to do. So there may be additional episodes."
It could be as many as six episodes, or a half-season more than originally planned.