Thursday, March 13, 2003
Want to know more about the subculture of video gaming experts and fanatics? "True Life: I'm a Gamer" (9 p.m., MTV) looks at the gaming aficionados who are pushing their Pentiums to their utmost, even if it's at the expense of their social lives. "Gamer" focuses on two champions who have each won more than $100,000 at tournaments, and looks at one house where seven hardcore players share nine televisions and 15 game systems.
- Cedric the Entertainer is host of the 34th NAACP Image Awards (7 p.m., Fox). The actor-comedian was at the center of some dispute last year when he played a cantankerous character in the movie "Barbershop" who uttered unflattering remarks about the NAACP, as well as civil rights pioneers Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks.
Halle Berry, Denzel Washington, Carlos Santana, Angela Bassett, Bernie Mac, Venus and Serena Williams and Meg Ryan appear. The awards were taped last Saturday night at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles.
- "Extreme Machines: Oil Rigs" (7 p.m., TLC) documents the construction and launch of the 50,000-ton semi-submersible rig Erik Raude in the waters near Halifax, Nova Scotia. Built for a rough climate, the Raude is capable of drilling for oil in 10,000 feet of water. Its 30,000-foot drill can access reserves hidden deep in the Earth's crust.
Tonight's other highlights
- Special Forces discovers rockets aimed at an American airbase on "Profiles from the Front Line" (8 p.m., ABC).
- Scheduled on "Biography" (8 p.m., A&E;): Katherine Hepburn.
- A car crashes into a crowded restaurant on "CSI" (8 p.m., CBS).
- Scheduled on "PrimeTime" (9 p.m., ABC): Experts contemplate possible "what if" scenarios regarding the war in Iraq.
Gossip and an unscheduled injury cramp both camps' style on "Survivor" (7 p.m., CBS) ... An interview with a British pop star on "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" (7 p.m., WB) ... Jay Leno and Jay Mohr guest star on "Scrubs" (7:30 p.m., NBC).
So far, ratings have been tepid for "Are You Hot? The Search for America's Sexiest People" (8 p.m., ABC) ... A decorated Army officer disappears after his testimonial dinner on "Without a Trace" (9 p.m., CBS).
Guest host Will Ferrell welcomes Chris Rock and Tom Dreesen on "Late Show with David Letterman" (10:35 p.m., CBS) ... Jay Leno talks with Ringo Starr and Bill O'Reilly on "The Tonight Show" (10:35 p.m., NBC).