Sunday, May 18, 2003
Lawrence author to hold natural writing retreat
Lawrence writer Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg will facilitate "Write from the Earth: A Writing Retreat Day On the Prairie" from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. June 1 at a location south of Lawrence.
Directions will be sent upon enrollment.
The workshop will focus on exploring and experiencing how the poems, stories and reflections participants write can bring them closer to nature. Weather-permitting, the day also will include short prairie and woodland walks and outdoor writing.
A fee covers materials and refreshments.
Diverse acts on tap for Mulvane Art Fair
Topeka -- A variety of entertainment is scheduled for the Mulvane Mountain/Plains Art Fair June 7-8 on the Washburn University campus.
Artists from 12 states will display and sell works ranging from oil, watercolors and pottery to jewelry, photography and fiber. Hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 7 and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. June 8.
The fair is the annual fund-raising event of the Mulvane Art Museum and is hosted by the Friends of the Mulvane Art Museum.
Here's a look at the entertainment lineup:
- 10 a.m.-noon June 7, musicians from the Topeka Symphony
- Noon-2 p.m. June 7, Todd Wilkerson Jazz Combo
- 2 p.m.-4 p.m. June 7, Bridges (folk music)
- 4 p.m.-6 p.m. June 7, Pastense (bluegrass)
- 10:30 a.m.-noon June 8, Raul Gomez and Friend (Flamenco guitar and flautist)
- Noon-2 p.m. June 8, Bridges (folk music)
- 2 p.m.-4 p.m. June 8, Pastense (bluegrass)
All events will be on the lawn area near Whiting Field House at 18th and Washburn.