Sunday, May 25, 2003
Central Jr. High students turn trash into treasure
Lisa Clipsham's ninth-grade art students at Central Junior High School, some of whom are pictured above, have replicated famous paintings by some of the most renowned painters in world history. But they've done it on a canvas you might not suspect.
Drama: EMU Theater to have auditions today
EMU Theater group is having auditions at 7 p.m. today at the Ecumenical Christian Ministries building, 1204 Oread Ave., for "Girlz" by Jeannine Saunders and "The Rattler" by Andrew Stowers.
Women are encouraged to audition. "Girlz" contains eleven roles for women delivering monologues.
EMU will perform the plays in July.
For more information, contact James Benkard at 331-0328 or Stowers at 331-4458.
Music: Lawrence's Rowan starts Heart of America season
Baldwin -- Lawrence-based Celtic band Rowan will play concerts at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Baker University's Rice Auditorium to kick off Heart of America Performing Arts' inaugural summer season.
Rowan is a four-piece acoustic music group specializing in Celtic folk music. Members are Doug Harvey, Larry Carter, Marianne Payette-Carter and Lance Zimmerman.
A workshop led by the band members will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Rice Auditorium. The free workshop is sponsored by Baldwin State Bank and is open to the public.
In addition to Rowan, HAPA will present five more events this summer:
- An original adaptation of Mark Twain's "The Diary of Eve" called "Twain's Eden" by Jeff McLaughlin and Lori Lee Triplett, 7:30 p.m. June 10-14 and 3 p.m. June 15.
- A dance event, 7:30 p.m. June 27-28.
- "Over the River and Through the Woods" by Joe DiPietro, 7:30 p.m. July 8-12 and 3 p.m. July 13.
- The Steve Miller K.C. Band, 7:30 p.m. July 18-19.
- The premiere of "Women of the Wind" by Lori Lee Triplett, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 12-16, 19-23 and 3 p.m. Aug. 17 and 24.
For tickets, call (785) 594-8438.