Sunday, November 2, 2003
The third annual Lawrence Own-Your-Own juried art exhibition and sale wrapped up Oct. 6 with purchases of artwork totaling $25,640.
The show, organized by the Lawrence Committee for the Advancement of the Visual Arts, occurs each year at no expense to the entrants, and the artists receive the full retail price for each piece sold. Entrants agree to make a tax-deductible donation in the amount of 20 percent of their sales to the Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center. The total donation to Bert Nash this year was more than $5,000.
Purchase Award Patrons were responsible for more than $16,000 in sales. Patrons purchased 43 percent of the works shown.
The Lawrence Arts Commission and the Lawrence Art Guild together provided $1,100 in cash awards for best of show, second place, third place, and the new People's Choice Award. Visitors cast ballots to select the People's Choice Award. In addition, local merchants provided an additional six awards of merit. Awards were presented to the following artists:
- Best in show, Lena Marie Echelle, "Outgrown Heart" brooch, $500 cash award.
- Second place, Stephen Johnson, "Female Nude," $300 cash award.
- Third place, Jen Unekis, "Options," $100 cash award.
- People's Choice Award, Constance Ehrlich, "Little Sprout #2," $200 cash award.
- Sue Ashline, "View from the Canyon Floor," $100 cash award from Paradigm Design Ecological Building Products.
- Kathryn Conrad, "Chicken-Eating Preacher," $100 cash award from Sterling Capital Mortgage/Barb and Chris Forbes.
- Burke Griggs, "Blanca Equipment," $100 gift certificate from Fields Gallery.
- Nancy Ness, "Second Verse," $75 gift certificate from Community Mercantile.
- Constance Ehrlich, "Little Sprout #2," $50 cash from Scott Rice Office Works.
- Lisa Grossman, "Kansas Flood Plain"; Susan Jordan, "From the Towers"; Michael Taylor, Untitled; $50 gift certificates from Lawrence ArtWalk.
- Bob Zerwekh, "Precarious Arrangement," $50 gift certificate from Artframes.