Friday, November 28, 2003
Memphis has its share of musical memories: the Beale Street blues scene; Sam Phillips' Sun Studios; the Stax record sound; and the enduring cult appeal of Alex Chilton and Big Star.
Tonight, pop star and tabloid phenomenon Justin Timberlake returns to his hometown for "Justin Timberlake: Down Home in Memphis" (7 p.m., NBC), a combination variety show and heritage tour, with Timberlake showing off his town's legendary sites. In addition to singing his pop hits, he'll be joined by guests Black Eyed Peas for a performance of their hit song "Where is the Love." He also performs a duet ("Let's Stay Together") with the Rev. Al Green.
- Leave it to the retro-wags at Nick at Nite to send up the holiday variety show tradition with their own "Nick at Nite Holiday Special" (9 p.m., Nick at Nite). The jokes and music take place at the special Nick at Nite Lodge. Musical guests --including Natalie Cole, Clay Aiken, Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Sarah McLachlan, Chaka Khan, Lil' Romeo, Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald -- find themselves "stranded" by a sudden blizzard and forced to share quarters with Al Roker, Martin Mull, French Stewart, John Schneider and other stars of television present and past. Lou Rawls presides as the narrator of the snowy night; Mull hams it up as the innkeeper; Joyce DeWitt works as the housekeeper; and Jackee Harry ("Sister, Sister") appears as the chef. Look for Aiken to sing "Little Drummer Boy."
- Mario Lopez leads the second grand finale of the family friendly talent showcase "Pet Star" (7 p.m., Animal Planet), featuring golfing birds, acrobatic cats and dogs who form their own conga line. Beast or fowl, the winner takes home $25,000.
Tonight's other highlights
- Jimmy Durante narrates the 1969 animated special "Frosty the Snowman" (7 p.m., CBS), followed by "Frosty Returns" (7:30 p.m., CBS), featuring the voice of Jonathan Winters.
- Adam Sandler stars in the 1999 parenting comedy "Big Daddy" (7 p.m., Fox).
- A teen hears from the Almighty and doubts her senses on the pilot episode of "Joan of Arcadia" (8 p.m., CBS).
- A rustic hideaway gets a Christmas-themed makeover on "Decorating Cents: Holiday Style" (8 p.m., HGTV).
- The mob puts some muscle on a restaurant supplier on "Third Watch" (9 p.m., NBC).
- Scheduled on "20/20" (9 p.m., ABC): the 50th anniversary of Playboy magazine; an interview with author Jay McGraw.
Jessica Alba, Wendy Liebman and Jay-Z appear on "Late Show with David Letterman" (10:35 p.m., CBS) ... Jay Leno welcomes Sen. John Kerry, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and music by ZZ Top on "The Tonight Show" (10:35 p.m., NBC).
Kelsey Grammer, Craig Bierko and Greg Giraldo chat on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (11:35 p.m., NBC) ... Tony Danza and Tamala Jones appear on "The Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn" (11:37 p.m., CBS).