Sunday, April 4, 2004
1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "3rd Degree," by James Patterson and Andrew Gross (Little, Brown, $26.95). While investigating several killings in San Francisco, the Women's Murder Club discovers that one of its members is a target.
3. "The Last Juror," by John Grisham (Doubleday, $27.95). In Clanton, Miss., someone is killing off the jurors who sent a member of a powerful crime family to prison for the rape and murder of a young mother.
4. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
5. "Ransom," by Danielle Steel (Delacorte, $26.95). In the aftermath of a violent crime, the lives of four Californians collide.
1. "Deliver Us from Evil," by Sean Hannity (ReganBooks/ HarperCollins, $26.95). The radio and television personality argues that the war on terror must involve the defeat of liberalism as well as despotism.
2. "The Passion" (Tyndale, $24.99). A collection of still photographs taken on location during the filming of Mel Gibson's movie "The Passion of the Christ."
3. "The Fabric of the Cosmos," by Brian Greene (Knopf, $28.95). An exploration of "space, time and the texture of reality," by the author of "The Elegant Universe."
4. "American Dynasty," by Kevin Phillips (Viking, $25.95). The political commentator details a "pattern of deception" in four generations of the Bush family.
5. "The Price of Loyalty," by Ron Suskind (Simon & Schuster, $26). A view inside the Bush administration from the perspective of Paul O'Neill, the president's first Treasury secretary.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
2. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
3. "The Sexy Years," by Suzanne Somers (Crown, $25). Tips on how to have "a fabulous sex life" and achieve "endless vitality."
4. "The Power of Intention," by Wayne W. Dyer (Hay House, $24.95). Ways to find spiritual solutions to life's problems.
5. "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," by Laura C. Schlessinger (HarperCollins, $24.95). Advice for women on how to treat spouses.
-- The New York Times