Sunday, January 25, 2004
1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
3. "New Spring: The Novel," by Robert Jordan (Tor/Tom Doherty, $22.95). The 11th volume of the "Wheel of Time" fantasy series.
4. "Retreat, Hell!" by W. E. B. Griffin (Putnam, $26.95). The 10th novel in the series "The Corps" concerns the struggle of United States marines in the Korean War.
5. "The Amateur Marriage," by Anne Tyler (Knopf, $24.95). Sixty years of the American experience, as seen through the lives of one mismatched couple.
1. "My Prison Without Bars," by Pete Rose with Rick Hill (Rodale, $24.95). A memoir by the former player who was banned from baseball for betting on games while he was the manager of the Cincinnati Reds.
2. "Dude, Where's My Country?" by Michael Moore. (Warner, $24.95). The author of "Stupid White Men" calls for "regime change" in Washington.
3. "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them," by Al Franken (Dutton, $24.95). A satirical critique of the rhetoric of right-wing pundits and politicians.
4. "Who's Looking Out For You?" by Bill O'Reilly (Broadway, $24.95). The host of "The O'Reilly Factor" attacks those individuals and institutions that he believes have let down the American people.
5. "American Dynasty," by Kevin Phillips (Viking, $25.95). The political commentator details a "pattern of deception" in four generations of the Bush family.
Advice, how-to and miscellaneous
1. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
2. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren. (Zondervan, $19.99.) Finding the meaning of life through God.
3. "The Ultimate Weight Solution," by Phil McGraw (Free Press, $26). Dr. Phil identifies "seven keys" to losing weight.
4. "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," by Laura C. Schlessinger (HarperCollins, $24.95). Advice for women on how to treat spouses.
5. "The Present," by Spencer Johnson (Doubleday, $19.95). An inspirational parable about the search for happiness, by the author of "Who Moved My Cheese?"