Tuesday, May 4, 2004
Performances this week across Lawrence will mark the local celebration of National Music Week.
The week is sponsored by the National Federation of Music Clubs and the Lawrence Music Club. The theme for this year is "Music ... An Instrument for World Peace."
The Lawrence Music Club was organized in 1892. In addition to monthly programs presented by members and invited guests, the club awards four scholarships annually. The club also presents an annual community service award of $100.
Following are music and dance programs this week:
- Melanie Dill's Children's Music Hour, 10:30 a.m., Oread Books, Kansas Union
- Kansas University Chamber Choir, 7:30 p.m., Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 6001 W. 15th St.
- David Broza, 8 p.m., Woodruff Auditorium, Kansas Union
- Octarium performs choral songs inspired by Shakespeare, 11:10 a.m., live on Kansas Public Radio, KANU-FM 91.5
- KU Electronic Music Ensemble, Brown Bag Classics, 12:30 p.m., Kansas Union
- Free State High School choral concert, 7:30 p.m., 4700 Overland Drive
- Noemi Miloradovic and Bing Xu, violin, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall, Murphy Hall, KU
- Andi Dhimitri, piano, 4:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall
- Rose Naughtin Benefit Concert, 7 p.m., Abe & Jake's Landing, 8 E. Sixth St.
- Free State High School orchestra concert, 7:30 p.m., FSHS auditorium
- Americana Music Academy acoustic jam, 7:30 p.m.-9 p.m., Signs of Life, 722 Mass.
- Sangil Lee, piano, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall
- New Dance performance, 7:30 p.m., Sherbon Dance Studio, 240 Robinson Center, KU
- KU Concert Choir and University Singers, 7:30 p.m., Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.
- Social Service League Benefit, 10 p.m., Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass.
- Kansas City Chamber Music Society, 11:10 a.m., live on Kansas Public Radio, KANU-FM 91.5
- Brian Cloyd and Aaron Robichaud, trombone, 4:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall
- Southwest Junior High School Spring Show, 6:30 p.m. and 8:15 p.m., school auditorium, 2511 Inverness Drive
- Mandofest (mandolin festival), 7 p.m., Liberty Hall, 642 Mass.
- David Fedele, flute, and Robert Koenig, piano, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall
- Jared Ostermann, organ, 7:30 p.m., Bales Organ Recital Hall, KU
- Farmers Market opening day, featuring Jake Keim and the Prairie Acre
- "Lully and Moliere: A Colloquium and Concert," 2 p.m., Inge Theatre, Murphy Hall, KU
- Acoustic Music Jam, 3 p.m.-5 p.m., Americana Music Academy, 1419 Mass.
- Mandofest, 7 p.m., Liberty Hall
- Octarium, 7:30 p.m., Central Court, Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Miss.
- Julia Hardin, soprano, 7:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall
- KU Symphony Orchestra, 3 p.m., Lied Center, KU
- Showcase of Luis Narino compositions, 7:30 p.m., Black Box Theater, Murphy Hall