LOL Hippies

Internet meme meets Wakaruskies. All photos taken at last year's Wakarusa Festival. Original photos here from Thursday, Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Photos from previous years also available in our Damn Kids Party Pics archive. Info on this year's festival available in our Wakarusa 2008 guide.

Comments

Pauly 12 years, 3 months ago

It's unfortunate that several great images were ruined by these captions. With the exception of the guy passed out over the beer can, they are wonderful pictures.Too bad a certain individual has to manipulate them to satisfy his own inhibitions.To suggest that the woman who is wearing the "Code Pink" shirt (for breast cancer awareness) is a swinger is just plain mean, degrading, and wrong.

Pauly 12 years, 3 months ago

This is an unfortunate post by a website that practices "journalism".I am a registered professional engineer, and have been attending Wakarusa since its inception. I take great offense to these stereotypical images.They are not funny. You have engaged in nothing but untrue stereotyping. How come you refuse to embrace people's differences? Is it easier just to make fun of them? Does that make you feel better about yourself?In all the years I have attended Wakarusa, I have met some of the greatest people that I will ever know. People don't come to Lawrence in June to get messed up on a bunch of drugs....which is what you elude to in your last picture. That is fundamentally wrong. They come for the fellowship of friends and the beautiful music that they want to experience.Do you not want our dollars in your community? Do you not want to have professionals vacation in your community? It seems that you don't because these types of actions will drive them all away.These are simply pictures of people having fun. That's it. Why must you destroy that by inserting ridiculous captions that drive your stereotypes? People come to Kansas in June to have a vacation and enjoy great fellowship and spectacular music. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you have some type of inhibition about that, then you should probably take it up with yourself rather than posting ridiculous images on the internet.

local_support 12 years, 3 months ago

Don't let it bother you Pauly. Obviously Gavon is pretty clueless when it comes to Wak fest. Not all that creative either.

Lostinthewoods 12 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Pauly. These are just wrong.I don't understand all the negative stereotypes that are coming from Lawrence.com about wakarusa. These just look like regular people having a good time, or dozing off from a long day. To imply that last guy was on meth is just plain wrong.I will admit a couple are funny, but most are just the same negative stereotypes I keep hearing. I guess it's OK to mock a sub-culture and tear people down for doing what they enjoy. I'll make sure to start doing that everyday and see how many friends I can make.

Jill Ensley 12 years, 3 months ago

STOP BEING SO FUCKING SENSITIVE.Jesus, in the midst of all that's wrong in the world, losing the ability to laugh at ourselves is one of the most disturbing trends.For a Festivarian, you're decidedly uncool, man.Kudos on the LOLs.

lylbee123 12 years, 3 months ago

yeah, it's always helpful to make fun of people and stereotype. That's making the world a better place for sure. good luck convincing yourself it's okay. Thanks "journalists!"

DOTDOT 12 years, 3 months ago

Huh. I thought they was funny. No offense Pauly, but weird self referential expansions based on the perception that it's all about "you" is actually MY job around here. You need a bit of practice, grasshopper.The post is labelled "LOL Hippes", not "LOL Wannabee Hippies", or "LOL Weekend Hippies", or "LOL Registered Professional Engineers at Hippie Music Festival."Your bigotry against hippies is demonstrated by your (mistakenly) taking offense at the hint that you are being labelled one.Most real hippies know how to LOL.))<>((..

Pauly 12 years, 3 months ago

Well, if you like to be labeled a methamphetamine user because you decide to go to a music festival, then good for you. It's nice how you are so so nice and decide to curse me for voicing my opinion.I guess you are way cooler than I. And WAY more cordial as well.

DOTDOT 12 years, 3 months ago

Lostinthewoods doesn't mean to tear down the regular eldotcom commenters does he?Don't tase me, bro.

gavon 12 years, 3 months ago

Lostinthewoods...don't get all defensive at justification. You insult us (anonymously, I might add) and then get "up in arms" when we actually respond to your criticism. This is a two way street.You should know that I don't have a life and will indeed take any and all slights as personal affronts, then waste hours pounding you into dust. I have the time if you really want to go hammer and tongs...This isn't a bathroom stall. After you post your opinions, you have to stand by them. Sorry to be pissy, but after being called a bigot on the scale of George Wallace all day (http://forum.wakarusa.com/viewtopic.php?t=9513&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=cba1f962573924eae8b4542b19d883c8), I'm short on patience.

Jill Ensley 12 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I wasn't aware that we were all "journalists". Damn, I gotta add that to my resume.Jill Ensley - Artist/"Journalist" Wait, I think the Artist bit needs quotes too.

smerdyakov 12 years, 3 months ago

I tend to agree with Lost that you "don't need to worry about the majority of people" ... they likely have more of a sense of humor about this. These are hilarious.The cats in these photos obviously went out of their way to be outrageous. These LOL riffs are just playing along in the same outrageous vein. This site http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ is a better example of cutting personal attacks ... I also find it hilarious, but can see why some people would feel hurt by it.Other examples of cutting personal attacks on on that Wakarusa forum, wow. Seems to me that to the extent that there's any truth in these stereotypes, it must apply to the ones getting so worked up... doth protest too much indeed.

gavon 12 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the "clueless" and "not all that creative" nods, David. You're really burnishing my elitist/frat-guy/hack journalist credentials. Way to stoop to my level!Other bullet points:-This isn't an investigative report on relief efforts in Myanmar...it's a comedy piece. No need to keep saying "journalist" like you got me with my pants down (although they are literally down at the moment...I'm airing out the crotch soup from all of this humidity).-Please stop equating a subset of people who go to Wakarusa with oppressed minorities. I'm tweaking the cliches of both festival culture and LOL Cats, not turning the hoses on civil rights marchers in Selma. The hyperbole, conflation and persecution complex on display is embarrassing and a little offensive. Leftover Salmon fans are not being ethnically cleansed in Darfur. -I agree with DOTDOT...some people here, I think, doth protest too much.-I TOTALLY agree with Jill...if you really want to get worked up about something, here ya go:http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_main-Lastly, these are just asinine jokes (for I am an asinine person). If you don't find them funny, I understand...that's fine. All you're doing by slagging me, however, is validating my smug sense of superiority. That seems to be counterproductive from your perspective.

Lostinthewoods 12 years, 3 months ago

Um...when did I insult you? My mocking comment? I was just trying to make a point. I never called you a bigot. In fact the only person that called anyone a bigot was DOTDOT to Pauly.(Well, I guess Pauly's first comment could be taken like that, but I'm not sure that's what he meant.) Like I said, I found a few to be funny.And this IS kind of like a bathroom stall, because it's the internet. If you look, you will see it's the same 5 people fighting on these comments section, so I really don't think you need to worry about the majority of people. The only reason I said anything was because I felt so strongly about my opinion.Oh, and about getting "up in arms," I'm just saying cussing at the people commenting isn't the best route, although I think that was Jill for the most part. I never meant my comments as an insult.The whole thing makes me want to do this:http://steamsteamlol.ytmnd.com/

Jill Ensley 12 years, 3 months ago

Lost, you obviously don't know me too fucking well. :) But how could you. Still, let's just all agree that no one's losing any sleep over this (I hope) and be done with it.

CarterFaucheaux 12 years, 3 months ago

Can we arrest all of the hippies and put them in an internment camp?

Lostinthewoods 12 years, 3 months ago

Gavon, Jill: I don't understand why you guys are getting so up in arms about some comments. It looks like some people just voiced their displeasure about these pics. People bash restaurants on lawrence.com all the time and I don't see the owners of said restaurants logging in and yelling at them.

Aaron Sherwood 12 years, 3 months ago

Okay, I'm thinking that there are some out there who are just not getting the humor or the reference. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcat, then go check out icanhascheezburger.com to put a smile back on your face. Then, pack up your water and sunscreen and meet us out at the festival.

newtokc 12 years, 3 months ago

I'm with chestergrande....looks like people aren't recognizing the spoof angle here. I think it would be easy to perceive "LOL Hippies" as hostile if one were not familiar with LOL Cats. But it's just good, clean silliness...

mike1508 12 years, 3 months ago

Sigh...Nobody sees the real issue here...I am opposed to misuse of "LOL" -- on stuff that doesn't make me LOL, even if it is a parody of other stuff that doesn't make me LOL. LOL is a way of communicating that 'you' have LOL'ed, as in chat. Use in titles such as this to somehow suggest that I will LOL is pretty annoying, like it's the public consensus of what makes people LOL, like I'm supposed to LOL. Imagine if some crappy movie like Problem Child II was named LOL Child II. What, are they trying to intimidate and control my social reactions? Am I to feel left out if I don't even crack a smile? Fortunately, the descriptor of 'comedy' can be applied, which let's me know that they are trying to be funny, and it is up to me whether I want to LOL. LOL abuse must end, before we start seeing 'Piss Yourself in Terror' Horror flicks and 'Cry, Weep You Little Girl' Romance movies.(sarcasm scale 3/10, bored finger exercise 5/10)

rapiiid 12 years, 3 months ago

i'm not sure of the hostility here or the imprisonment of the LOL, but seriously gang, it's a joke. check LOLcat. it's funny. the captions are funny on these pics and using the same format/humor. chill out, hippies and viral l33trs.