Bound Up, with Krista Souter

photo

Krista Souter

Krista Souter, badass server, artist, reader

Currently reading: "Hand Job: A Catalog of Type" by Michael Perry

"It's all about hand lettering and modern fonts that people do on their own. I love hand lettering and illustrative fonts. It's my passion. I don't have a favorite font, but I hate Comic Sans. It sucks. I hope the guy who invented Comic Sans is forced to stare at it for the rest of eternity. This book is visually stimulating and artistically inspirational."

Book everyone should read: "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov

"It's one of the best books ever written. I read it when I was younger, loved it, but took a Nabokov class at KU which made it even better. That book is mind blowing. I think Humbert Humbert is a real man who was really in love. I don't think you should touch kids or anything, but he's an okay guy. He's just misunderstood by a lot of people. If Nabokov can make me appreciate a pervert, actually sympathize with a pedophile, then you know it's a good read. It's beautifully written."

Comments

nobe 13 years, 2 months ago

Dear lawrence.com,

By now I'm sure we've all gathered that cute townie girls like to do art (or photography), consume middlebrow alternative media, and be servers (or baristas). We got it. So can we move on now? I'd like to hear what some ugly people think about Lolita, British movies, and indie rock. Maybe even some dudes? Diversify is all I'm saying.

Thanks, and all the best.

nathan 13 years, 2 months ago

@nobe Anyone can start a blog on lawrence.com, even "ugly people" and "dudes" http://www.lawrence.com/weblogs/

gavon 13 years, 2 months ago

nobe, when have "British movies" ever come up? If you were just looking for an example of elitist hipster media, I would have gone with McSweeney's or Pithfork. British cinema is fairly mainstream these days. Russian, Swedish and Korean cinema is where all the arthouse snobs are flocking these days. Put some effort into your condescension is all I'm saying.

Thanks, and all the best.

campblood 13 years, 2 months ago

gavon: shouldn't you be scouring the internet for cute things?

Thanks, and all the best

darthvedder 13 years, 2 months ago

Is the bartendress wearing a wolf & moon shirt? Nice synergy L.com!

Chris Tackett 13 years, 2 months ago

Gavon,

I haven't been able to see all the cute girls Nobe is talking about, but this one http://www.lawrence.com/news/2009/may... really is cute and picked good songs, so keep up the good work. And if you're getting dates out of these q & a's, i think you owe it to use to live tweet the entire interactions.

and this is a winner: http://www.lawrence.com/news/2009/may... take the premise, add some gavon flavor and you may solve Nobe's problem.

Carmenilla 13 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you, nobe. The "interviewer" seems to have a certain flair for finding the 20-something alterna-hotties late at night in a bar. Seems opportunistic to me but maybe that's his brand of journalism. Also, sex sells...er, reads, um, yah.

gavon 13 years, 2 months ago

darthvedder, first of all, your online handle made me Pearl Jam my jeans (if ya knows what I mean). Second of all, good eye! We call that an "Easter egg" in the nerd-o-verse. You win absolutely nothing but my admiration.

Chris, good to hear from you again! Sadly, my prowess with the ladies isn't such that I'm dating every single woman I interview. That would require more time than there is in the day and more E.D. medication than there is in Bob Dole and Rush Limbaugh combined. And thank you for pointing out, with your link to "Breakfast at Sulimay's," that not everything on this site is young women. Unless you consider Ann, the foul mouthed septuagenarian in those videos, a "20-something alterna-hottie." Actually, I do think she's a hottie. Social Security is sexy, y'alls!

Carmenilla, I thank you as well for assuming I have the stamina of some sort of Wilt Chamberlain/Gene Simmons/irradiated moose bull fiend, but it's a myth I tragically cannot live up to. I just interview folks that I think look interesting, dudes included.

A few recent examples to prove I'm not sexist against sausages: http://www.lawrence.com/news/2009/may... http://www.lawrence.com/news/2009/may... http://www.lawrence.com/news/2009/may...

nobe 13 years, 2 months ago

I'm willing to let it go, in light of Mr. Laessig's work on pygmy jerboa (pl).

Thanks, and all the best.

DOTDOT 13 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for sharing. Am I the only one who's never heard them called that before?

Jill Ensley 13 years, 2 months ago

Jesus, can we stop with all the Twitter speak. 2 cranky cents, too late.

matt 13 years, 2 months ago

I too would like to report in that I am shocked, SHOCKED, that week in and week out I have to look at pretty people and learn about their creative interests. The idea that you could be out and about and actually see these guys and girls and have an icebreaker line in hand is horrifying. How do you cajole these helpless young people into giving such personal information? Is it after your assuredly guaranteed sexy time? Gavon, you have gone far before, but the pixie found above is simply too much. I am engorged enough to put a tick to shame. Good day sir!

Please look out for my new web page, DougsUggs.com, for all your local ugly person opinions and big fat pig pictorials.

I said good day!