The Burger Stand set to move out of Dempsey's and into the Casbah

The gourmet burgers served at Dempsey's in downtown Lawrence will have a new home soon. The burger stand will be opening its own place on Massachusetts Street.

photo

Robert Krause, left, and Simon Bates — purveyors of gourmet burgers and fries at The Burger Stand.

In 2009, the Molly and Robert Krause helped turn Dempsey's Pub into one of downtown's most popular eateries. The concept was relatively simple — offer seven or eight modestly priced gourmet burgers and a few flavors of gourmet fries.

The Burger Stand proved to be a coveted complement to Dempsey's beer and pleasing environment. But that's about to change. Molly Krause announced today on her blog that later this summer The Burger Stand will move into the Casbah Market building — right next door to Esquina, the taco joint they just opened in February.

"We will be opening sometime this summer, but will still be serving out of the Demspey’s location until then. The action around here just never seems to stop. I used to think that there would be a time of quiet, but I now have to admit that I like the action as much as Robert." — Molly's full blog.

Comments

smerdyakov 10 years, 5 months ago

Nk... without beer, those burgers would not seem to go down as well. They have to have a bar there.

Petaflop 10 years, 5 months ago

I must say, as a Lawrence local and lover of demsey's, I'm pretty disappointed in this turn of events. The high quality beer really made the burgers all they could be and vice versa. I just don't think a Kobe burger with duck fries will be quite as tasty without a pint of 90 schillings to go along with it. Viva la Burger Stand con Demsey's!

gavon 10 years, 5 months ago

From what I gather, Dempsey's will still serve burgers, just not under the name of "The Burger Stand." The Krauses will take a few of their recipes with them to the Casbah location, but I've heard that the menu at Dempsey's will remain largely unchanged.

Anybody have any confirmation on this delicious gossip?

heastlund 10 years, 5 months ago

I haven't read anything to indicate they will still sell burgers. I hope for their sake they do - and good burgers. I think Dempsey's is going to get screwed over on this one. I completely agree - great burgers and great beer are best in combination. Good separately, but together for a peak of delicious. This news makes me sad.

gjmshm 10 years, 4 months ago

Dempseys will in fact will take over the kitchen and continue to serve some awesome burgers with all those awesome beers. Plus the patio is being expanded to include a large dining area to catch some summer rays on.

Jason Barr 10 years, 4 months ago

The Burger Stand is great because of the original recipes.....where they go....I follow. I honestly thought the terrible fratty crowd after dark was the main detriment of Dempseys....now I can eat burgers sans hair gel #WIN!