Style Scout: Tonie Barnett

Clothing Details:
Shoes: DSW, March 2010, $60.
Dress: Kieu’s, April 2011, $25.
Necklace: Unhinged Jewelry by Katy Clagett, July 2011, $25.
Glasses: Ray-Ban, May 2011, $150.
Purse: Kohl’s, August 2011, $30.

Clothing Details: Shoes: DSW, March 2010, $60. Dress: Kieu’s, April 2011, $25. Necklace: Unhinged Jewelry by Katy Clagett, July 2011, $25. Glasses: Ray-Ban, May 2011, $150. Purse: Kohl’s, August 2011, $30.

photo

Name: Tonie Barnett

Age: 26

Sign: Virgo

Relationship status: In a super awesome relationship.

Hometown: Eudora

Time in Lawrence: 26 years? Lawrence has always felt like my extended home since I grew up so close.

Occupation: Full-time mom, full-time student, part-time office assistant.

What were you doing when scouted? Running some errands downtown before heading to work.

How would you describe your style? I would describe my style as fun and classy. I love geometric shaped dresses and '50s and '60s styles.

What are your current favorite fashion trends? I love funky heels with skinny jeans. For men, a casual blazer never dies!

What are your least favorite fashion trends? I'll never understand why the fanny-pack was ever created, nor will I understand why I'm beginning to see them again. But, I've been contemplating jumping on that bandwagon. I suppose it's a case of ‘fashion confusion.’

What would you like to see more of in Lawrence? I really love Lawrence with all it's variety. Now that I know Java Break will serve me biscuits and gravy at 2 a.m., I'm set!

What would you like to see less of in Lawrence? Hate.

Do you have any piercings or tattoos? My ears are pierced, and I have one tattoo.

Do you have any fashion influences? My mom and of course '50s, '60s and '70s styles.

People say I look like… Someone once said I looked like Heather Graham.

Tell us a secret: My heart belongs to an almost three-year-old named Wes.

Comments

dsplawrence 10 years, 3 months ago

Variety? In Lawrence? By variety are you refering to the people of this town, all of whom look the same? "Like, totally."

Megan Green Stuke 10 years, 3 months ago

I really don't think everyone in this town looks the same. I really don't. Have you walked down Mass St. on a weekday afternoon/evening recently? I see loads of diversity. I don't think you're really looking. Maybe the "other" people just disappear to you. Or, you're hanging out exclusively at Johnny's West.

dsplawrence 10 years, 3 months ago

what is johnny's west? and yes, i was refering specifically to all of the trend zombies who hang out in downtown lawrence, all of whom look like lobotomized Gap store mannequins. they're all white, they all wear a KU/Jayhawk logo on some part of their body every day of the week.

Megan Green Stuke 10 years, 3 months ago

Again, I have to disagree. I see all kinds of people, many of whom do not wear a Jayhawk (I am one of them). I don't think you are really looking.

dsplawrence 10 years, 3 months ago

85 percent of Lawrence is caucasian. Where is there any "diversity"? People talk in wonder of the diversity of Lawrence, but I've never seen it. I've been to large cities that have actual diversity, and have immigrant communities and many different cultures. Where does this sort of thing exist here? It doesn't. All KU people, who unfortunately represent the majority and the identity of lawrence, actively avoid anything and any people that have nothing to do with the university. There are a few people of other races and cultures, but they are small in number compared to the Jayhawk sweat shirt/cargo shorts/frat/Ugg boots/pseudo-creative hipster populations that make up most of Lawrence.

Tonie Barnett Bruns 10 years, 3 months ago

If you want to get that technical, then there is no place that stands to be truly diverse. However, for the midwest area; Lawrence has a great mix of lively people. Most of which are not native to Lawrence or the Lawrence area.

"What would you like to see less of in Lawrence?" -"Hate"

Couldn't agree more; and unfortunately some of these obscure comments reference exactly what Lawrence needs less of. Haters!

dsplawrence 10 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence has cookie-cutter college kids, most of whom come from the same socio-economic background; hardly a "lively mix" of people. Do you think any of those people would come here if the population were not predominantly white? Hate has nothing to do with my observations; just pointing out the elephant in the room.

born_wearing_a_white_belt 10 years, 3 months ago

I love how innocent fashion scouting becomes a window to a socio-economic struggle... (every week seemingly). Bring the Culture Wars to the most benign and inoffensive pages of the internets! We're ready to be Offended!

davisnin 10 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree with dsplawrence. I feel the same way every time I hang out in Somalia. All these cookie cutter people walking around with their trendy distended bellies and Tom's shoes. And you barely see any white people. You'd think the Mogadishu city commission would get a consultant in to do a diversity study.