Style Scout: Sammy Wheeler

Details of the outfit:
Henley long-sleeved shirt: Urban Outfitters, $20.
Earrings: flea market, $2.
Bracelet: gift.
Flare jeans: Gap, $5.
Sandles; Urban Outfitters, $10.

Details of the outfit: Henley long-sleeved shirt: Urban Outfitters, $20. Earrings: flea market, $2. Bracelet: gift. Flare jeans: Gap, $5. Sandles; Urban Outfitters, $10.

photo

Name: Sammy Wheeler

Age: 23

Relationship status: Taken

Hometown: Lawrence

Time in Lawrence: 15 years

Occupation: Sales associate at Bloom

What were you doing when scouted? Manning the register at Bloom

Dream job: Fabric and surface designer or screen printer and dyer of beautiful fabrics

How would you describe your style? It’s evolving. Normally I dress bohemian and shabby-chic. Lately I have been going a bit more preppy, with J. Crew and Loft styles.

Current favorite fashion trends? I love how ruffles are being incorporated into more girls’ styles. High-waisted skirts are always a good choice.

Fashion trends you hate? Uggs!

What would you like to see more of in Lawrence? Better support from university students of downtown local restaurants, coffee shops and businesses in general.

What would you like to see less of in Lawrence? I am of the opinion that there is a sufficient variety of choice and number of restaurants downtown.

Do you have any piercings or tattoos? My ears and nose are pierced.

Comments

Bob Forer 7 years, 10 months ago

"Better support from university students of downtown local restaurants, coffee shops and businesses in general."

Apparently, Sammy has never been to college and doesn't realize that many college students barely are able to pay tuition and frugal living expenses, which is especially difficult in a down economy. Sorry, young lady but a lot of students simply don't have the coin for an overpriced latte, or a fifty dollar T-shirt.

jedifunk 7 years, 10 months ago

What a bizarre and unnecessarily hateful comment. Your screen name certainly is not holding true.

The most expensive item she's wearing was 20 bucks. Fifty dollar t-shirt? What?

And a lot of students DO have the coin. You're delusional if you think Starbucks isn't packed with students every single day. She's basically saying that students spend a ton of money - 'cause they do - and it'd be nice if they keep it local.

And she's been to college. She's lived the life. Trust me. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself.

jedifunk 7 years, 10 months ago

Did you read the general tone of their comment? The should be ashamed because saying something as patronizing as "Apparently, Sammy has never been to college" because she didn't weigh the economic standings of every student in Lawrence is downright rude, that's why. She was asked her opinion and she gave it. The way her answer is being nitpicked is ridiculous. It's not even a controversial statement. Also, she said nothing about buying more expensive clothes such as "fifty dollar t-shirts." She actually said nothing, specifically, about clothes at all, just to support local "businesses in general."

jedifunk 7 years, 10 months ago

Lol, as if it weren't obvious by my knowledge that she has a college degree? Yes, I'm her friend. I don't think I was any more dramatic than Sycophant, but now seeing your comment on the other Scout this week makes it pretty clear what type of sense of humor you have, so I shouldn't have gotten riled up.

At least we can both agree on Andy Rooney.

Lol3331 7 years, 10 months ago

You're joking right?! I don't know if you have taken a look across campus but it the strewn with people driving 30thousand dollar cars, carrying coach bags, and have their parents give them an allowance monthly. I am not begrudging that they have money but the thought process that students cant spend their money locally because it is to expensive is absurd.

Urban outfitters is a joke when it come to quality verses price however there are so many other good places to shop that are affordable. Local Coffee shops are no more expensive than starbucks or Dunn Brothers. Hell there is even a tobacco shop downtown that is on par with gas stations.

lacevents 7 years, 10 months ago

oh yeah the SHOCKINGLY overpriced $7 dollar meals that many of our down town restaurants charge. shame on her for wanting the university to be part of this community. how dare she think that we should support local businesses.

what's your problem man?

Bob Forer 7 years, 10 months ago

You guys are missing the point. There are students that have money, and they obviously know how to spend it, and do. However, there are also a lot of students who barely get buy. those can't afford to shop downtown--they don't and they won't. .

jedifunk 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure, when you're stopped at random on the street about your outfit and interviewed for roughly 2 minutes, that you will be careful to word all of your answers so that they take into account the wealth of every student in Lawrence, be they rich, poor or in between.

You're reading this girl's answer like she said "And everyone who doesn't spend all of their money downtown has no right to live here." The way you attacked makes you seem like a grouch, and worse, a condescending one. The college comment was especially uncalled for.

jedifunk 7 years, 10 months ago

Aw, c'mon. I'm not a drama queen. I'm defending a friend I care about.

asixbury 7 years, 10 months ago

I love my Uggs. They're not the ugly brown ones, but the cute and comfy cardi version. Love them!