Tuesday, February 12, 2013
In many ways, “The Face” (8 p.m., Oxygen) takes the “America” out of “America’s Next Top Model,” a series it resembles in so many ways. Although it is set in New York and many of the 12 mannequin hopefuls hail from the 50 states, “The Face” has a certain international flair. It could be shot anywhere, and often it seems to be taking place on Mars.
It features a Tower of Babel of nearly incomprehensible accents. Chief among them is a variation on imperious and impatient London slang, wielded with authority by co-host and model Naomi Campbell and photographer and fashion personality Nigel Barker. There is no truth to the rumor that 72 percent of all British males involved in the fashion industry are named Nigel. It only seems that way.
Models Karolina Kurkova and Coco Rocha join Campbell as judges and coaches. Each assembles a team of four lanky Amazons for competitions and elimination rounds. And, as in every reality show since “The Real World,” the ladies share a posh space and fight over clothes and sleeping arrangements.
There is terrific pressure on a show like “The Face” to both resemble every modeling show that has ever aired and to distinguish itself from them. And that goes double for the young contestants. This explains why one brash woman arrives in the shared space and proceeds to screech like a banshee and literally bounce off the walls. She catwalks, or rather stumbles, over that fine line between irrational exuberance and emotional disturbance. Another model, a stunning Eastern European type, mutters something about murdering the newcomer in the middle of the night. Now this could get interesting.
Tonight’s other highlights:
• Contestants must marry the flavors of their dishes with special wines on “The Taste” (7 p.m., ABC).
• “The 137th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show” (7 p.m., USA) concludes. May the best pug win!
• Raylan’s discovery of a severed limb sets off a wild chase on “Justified” (9 p.m., FX).
• The newlyweds quibble over thank-you notes on “Mike & Molly” (9:30 p.m., CBS).
• Claire and Cameron see a diamond in the rough on “Modern Family” (9:30 p.m., ABC).