Style Scout: Amanda Albrecht

photo

Amanda Albrecht, Topeka. Clothing details: Blazer, Goodwill, two years ago, $7; sweater, Urban Outfitters, two years ago, $30; Banana Republic belt, consignment shop in Colorado, one year ago, $1; customized skirt, “It was my grandma’s sister’s nighty!”, homemade; leggings, Asos, $10, last year; shoes, consignment shop in Colorado, $17.

Age: 20

Hometown: Topeka

Time in Lawrence: Two years

Occupation: Archaeology student

Dream job: an archaeologist working in South America.

What were you doing when scouted: Reading a book called “Ancient Tiwanaku.”

Describe your style: My style is really different from day to day. It runs from classic tailored merino wool coats to a faux fur leopard coat. I really like to mix up patterns with my beloved glitter eyeliner.

Fashion trends you love: I really don’t know if anything I love is in line with any trends. However, I’m really into blazers and I like styles that mix a schoolgirl sophisticated look with glitter.

Fashion trends you hate: It’s hard to say I hate a trend because I really couldn’t care less about what other people are wearing. Fashion on some level is an opportunity to inform people of who you are.

Fashion influences: I really like Marianne Faithfull, Björk, Iggy Pop and David Bowie. I also learned a lot, surprisingly, from my mom, who is responsible for my love of boots and long skirts. She has a very sophisticated yet earthy sense of fashion.

What would you like to see more of in Lawrence: More pie shops!

Less of? I’m pretty happy in Lawrence. Maybe less college bars and meter maids.

Tattoos or piercings: None

Who do people say you look like? I hear Helena Bonham Carter fairly regularly.

What type of music do you unwind to: Leonard Cohen and Patti Smith

Tell us a secret … In fourth grade, I cheated on a spelling test!

Comments

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

webmocker 1 year, 10 months ago

"DanR 30 minutes ago

Not credible... the way the background is blurred except between her leggings and in front of her toes and above her blue hair."

You are certainly correct that the photo appears to have been altered rather unprofessionally.

someone8 1 year, 10 months ago

Sometimes I just wish they would find some normal looking people. It seems as though they walk down the street looking for outrageous.

asixbury 1 year, 10 months ago

Someone8, midwest muser, and Pepe....your opinion of what is stylish will never be the same for other people. Normal looking people are not usually very interesting, so why would they be featured in Style Scout? The title of the column is Style, not Pepe's style, or muser's or whomever. Style is very subjective and personal. Your negative comments are useless and really not needed. What is it about her that you do not like? And, more importantly, why should we care?

EDemasio 1 year, 9 months ago

Hello all! Thanks for bringing this photo my attention. I did use Photoshop to blur the background with the intent that Amanda could be the focus of the photo (not the tree branches and such). I am the new contributor to Style Scout and I did not know that this was improper. What I will do differently next time is to just use a lens that can produce that type of bokeh. The photo is going to be replaced with the unmodified version.

I also want to take the opportunity to say hello to those that really enjoy Style Scout and to let you all know a little bit about myself. First of all, I'd personally like to say THANK YOU to everyone that has given me the opportunity to feature them in Style Scout. In my opinion, you all are so brave, intelligent, confident and beautiful! Your smiles or the way you just carry yourselves, makes Lawrence such a vibrant place!

I grew up in NYC, where some people believe that it is the "style capital of the world." Lawrence is my permanent hometown now. It is a truly a special place. I enjoy photography, teaching video editing and coaching little league basketball.

One thing I hope people get from my Style Scout profiles is that a lot of people here in Lawrence are fashionable in their own sense, and character-wise, totally awesome to say the least.

I have followed and enjoyed the previous Style Scout, Ali Edward for awhile! When the opportunity came up to do Style Scout, I jumped on it with fervor! I have a spirit of adventure and exploration. My goal for Style Scout is just to bring another interesting view of people and how they embody their style.

What has been so impressive is that individuals like Amanda, and others I have been able to feature in Style Scout have great and interesting things to say! You can never judge a book by its cover. I hope you all continue to enjoy!

Best, Ed

LadyBear 1 year, 9 months ago

Style scout seems like a column that targets individual styles. If we saw "normal" styles than we would see profiles of the same "style". If style is a mode of expression, then a style scout ought to seek out unique styles. Though I am not courageous enough to pull off Amanda's awesomeness, I can appreciate her individuality.