Thursday, February 21, 2013
“Upload With Shaquille O’Neal” (9:30 p.m., Tru TV) becomes the latest series to showcase video clips from the Internet. Along the way, it shows that the former NBA star is about as good at being funny as a comedian might be at playing basketball.
The notion of the basketball/comedy tradeoff is not entirely novel. In their own way, the Harlem Globetrotters have always combined slapstick stunts with roundball prowess. During the early days of “Saturday Night Live,” singer Paul Simon appeared as a semiregular, and one of his better sketches featured the diminutive Simon playing one-on-one against NBA player (and former ABA star and Globetrotter) Connie Hawkins. It was terrible basketball, but memorable comedy.
O’Neal’s series comes closer to “America’s Funniest Home Videos” than “Saturday Night Live.” He and his panel of experts and friends, including Gary Owen and Godfrey, laugh — all the time — at their own jokes, pranks and stunts. Still, if you’re looking for diverting Internet clips and miss Shaquille O’Neal on the basketball court, there are worse ways to pass the time.
• “Glory Hounds” (7 p.m., Animal Planet) is such a natural idea for cable TV, I’m shocked we haven’t seen it before. “Hounds” celebrates the hundreds of dogs that comfort, accompany and assist soldiers on combat missions in Afghanistan.
Tonight’s other highlights:
• A trip to a nerd convention on “Community” (7 p.m., NBC).
• The guys reach the semifinals on “American Idol” (7 p.m., Fox).
• Cub reporters Rose and Arron make a big discovery on “Zero Hour” (7 p.m., ABC).
• Ron can’t manage his anger on an hourlong “Parks and Recreation” (7:30 p.m., NBC).
• Sarah Shahi (”Fairly Legal”) guest-stars as a terror-fighting femme fatale on “Person of Interest” (8 p.m., CBS).
• The hospital’s terrible financial condition becomes public on “Grey’s Anatomy” (8 p.m., ABC).
• Miranda Lambert gets the gang to design an outfit for her for free on “Project Runway” (8 p.m., Lifetime).
• Charlie dates his daughter’s teacher on “Anger Management” (8:30 p.m., FX).
• “American Greed” (9 p.m., CNBC) profiles a Michigan con man.
• Harvey and Jessica bicker about the firm on the season finale of “Suits” (9 p.m., USA).