Off the Beaten Plate: Black Forest Crepe at A.B.'s

Black Forest Crepe at A.B.'s Crepes, 17 W. Ninth St.

Black Forest Crepe at A.B.'s Crepes, 17 W. Ninth St.

photo

Black Forest Crepe at A.B.'s Crepes, 17 W. Ninth St.

Click here to see more Off The Beaten Plate. Click here to see drinks featured in Lawrence Libations. For more tidbits from Lawrence’s restaurant scene, check out the Wined & Dined blog.

photo

Banana Walnut Bliss Crepe at A.B. Crepes, 17 W. Ninth St.

A.B. Rials, who cooked more than a crepe or two during a previous job at Village Inn, says he decided to open a crepe shop back in 2005 “because there wasn’t one around.” He serves both savory- and sweet-filled crepes from his itsy-bitsy restaurant just off Massachusetts Street. The Black Forest Crepe features a thin, jumbo-size pancake folded around ham, sweet apple compote and melty Brie.

Where to get it: A.B.’s Crepes, 17 W. Ninth St. (Hours are limited: 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.)

What you’ll pay: $7

Try it with: A fork. These are not the crepes of French street carts, folded in paper and easy to eat while walking. They come on plates piled with creamy, syrupy, cheesy toppings.

Also on the menu: More lunch crepes, plus desert crepes such as the “Chocolate Bliss,” featuring the no-miss combination of Nutella and sliced bananas. A.B.’s also serves eggs Benedict, a few other breakfast items and sandwiches such as the Monte Cristo — ham, turkey and cheese dipped in egg and grilled.

— Off The Beaten Plate highlights some of the more exotic, oddly named or inventively concocted (for better or worse) dishes from local menus. Know of an offbeat menu item we should check out? Email food and features reporter Sara Shepherd at sshepherd@ljworld.com. Tweet her at Twitter.com/KCSSara.

Comments

Pr0digy 1 year, 6 months ago

I've walked by this place so many times had ZERO clue it had awesome looking food like that Doing the Homer J. Simpson doughnut drool as we speak

Violet 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, don't get too excited. My husband and I tried this place awhile back, thinking that it may have been some "hole in the wall" delicious little secret...and were sorely disappointed. It is very small, dirty, and it was summer w/ no a/c so super hot. There were flies buzzing about and a large TV (again, small space!) blaring. We had to ask for water, which came lukewarm in half filled plastic cups. The food was unmemorable. I have since wondered how in the heck it even stays open for business.

CrystalKU 1 year, 6 months ago

I disagree, I have eaten there several times and it never disappoints. I agree the water is lukewarm and has a funny taste and the space is small, but they have a nice sitting area outside and the food is delicious and filling. The owner always seems to be in a great mood and loves to talk to his customers. I think this place is a "hole in the wall" gem.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

I can't believe that the food in the pictures was actually photographed at that place. It just doesn't connect in my mind. I am really leery about trying it. I don't think a genial owner would make up for other deficiencies.

Sara Shepherd 1 year, 6 months ago

Just to clear up any question, I shot these photos myself on a table at A.B.'s — the crepes were made there, and the photos are not manipulated in any way. -Sara Shepherd, LJW reporter

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 6 months ago

Thank you Sara, in that case I am impressed and will check it out. This man has been hiding his light under a bushel.