Today in Lawrence: Rain, dancing and loads of laughs

Drawing on themes that contrast the classical and post-human digital age, the University Dance Company fall concert will showcase six works choreographed by two guest artists and KU faculty members. The KU Dance Company fall concert is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Lied Center, 1600 Stewart Drive.

Drawing on themes that contrast the classical and post-human digital age, the University Dance Company fall concert will showcase six works choreographed by two guest artists and KU faculty members. The KU Dance Company fall concert is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Lied Center, 1600 Stewart Drive.

Today in Lawrence is an early-morning digest of essential and not-so-essential info to start your day in Lawrence and Douglas County. Click here for past installments.
Tweet

Tweet of the Day: Nov. 21

YouTube

Right Between the Ears

Wet weekend

Today will be cloudy in the morning, then rain showers off and on in the afternoon. The high temperature will be around 45 degrees. Chance of rain is 50 percent. Tonight's low will be 38 with foggy conditions overnight, with a 40 percent chance of rain. Saturday and Sunday will see continued chances of rain; the high on Saturday will be a balmy 61 degrees, with a 30 percent chance of rain, and Sunday's high will be 54 degrees, with a 70 percent chance of rain.

Dance showcase

Drawing on themes that contrast the classical and post-human digital age, the University Dance Company fall concert will showcase six works choreographed by two guest artists and KU faculty members. The KU Dance Company fall concert is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Lied Center, 1600 Stewart Drive. Tickets are on sale at the Lied Center: $15 public, and for $10 students and senior citizens 62 and older.

Loaded with laughs

Lawrence's premiere sketch comedy show is back with Loaded for Bear V: Does Not O.K.! A tongue-in-cheek mix of commedia dell'arte, magical realism and clips from The Hunt for Red October, nothing screams "I HAVE CULTURE" more than conspicuously flashing your LFB ticket stub to anyone who will look. Loaded for Bear V: Does Not O.K. is at 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St. Tickets are $9.

Fresh cuts

Hank Charcuterie in Lawrence has received many requests for information on butchering, so the shop has decided to have a free butchering demonstration on a regular schedule so the public can come in and watch, learn and experience the process. The public is welcome to ask questions and request specific cuts. Demonstrations on Saturday will be at 3 p.m. at Hank Charcuterie, 1900 Massachusetts St. Visit Lawrence.com for additional demonstrations scheduled.

Comedy on stage

The award-winning comedy show Right Between the Ears serves up its first holiday show since 2006. The show promises the usual broadside of topical spoofery, satirical songs and silly sketches, including Let’s Talk Ebola, a call-in show hosted by the White House’s new “ebola czar." Right Between the Ears 2014 Holiday Show is at 5 and 8 p.m. Saturday at Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts St. Tickets are $15-$20 at the box office.

Yesterday's most-read

More Nov. 21 events

Honey Beezz Flea Market, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Columbus Hall, 2206 E. 23rd St.

Mike Shurtz Trio featuring Erin Fox, 10:15-11:30 a.m., Signs of Life, 722 Massachusetts St.

International Coffee Hour, 3 p.m., ECM Center, 1204 Oread Ave.

New Horizons Band, 4:30 p.m., Presbyterian Manor, 1429 Kasold Drive.

Artist Reception: John Ferry, “Disintegration,” 5-7 p.m., Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.

Artist Reception: Karen Matheis, “Chronic City,” 5-7 p.m., Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.

Turkey and Ham Potluck Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Lodge, 1803 W. Sixth St.

Bingo night, doors 5:30 p.m., refreshments 6 p.m., bingo starts 7 p.m., Eagles Lodge, 1803 W. Sixth St.

Exhibit opening: Lynn Alan Metzger, “Picture Lawrence,” 6-8 p.m., Lumberyard Arts Center, 718 High St., Baldwin City.

Film: “Dr. Strangelove,” 7 p.m., Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts St.

“The Love of Three Oranges,” 7:30 p.m., Free State High School, 4700 Overland Drive.

One-Act Performances, 7:30 p.m., Darby Hope Theatre, Baker University, Baldwin City.

More Nov. 22 events

Red Dog’s Dog Days workout, 7:30 a.m., parking lot in 800 block of Vermont Street.

Lawrence Farmers Market, 8 a.m.-noon, 824 New Hampshire St.

Annual Fall Craft and Bake Sale, 8 a.m.-3 p.m., Trinity Lutheran Church, 1245 New Hampshire St.

St. John Catholic Church Rummage Sale, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., 1246 Kentucky St.

22nd Annual Holiday Open House, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Pendleton’s Country Market, 1446 East 1850 Road.

Honey Beezz Flea Market, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Columbus Hall, 2206 E. 23rd St.

German School of Northeast Kansas, 9:30-11 a.m., Bishop Seabury Academy, 4120 Clinton Parkway. (Ages 3 and up.)

Not Just Jobs: Career Skills Training Program, 10 a.m.-noon, Ecumenical Campus Ministries, 1204 Oread Ave.

Holiday Bazaar: Residents’ sale of handmade Christmas crafts, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Meadowlark Estates, 4430 Bauer Farm Drive.

DeSoto High School Band Fundraiser - Craft Show, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Mill Creek Middle School, 8001 Mize Rd, Lenexa.

Art Cart: Positive/Negative, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Mississippi St.

Saturday Art Adventure: Personal Adornment, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Mississippi St.

Dock Sale and Tours, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Free State Brewing Co. production facility, 1923 Moodie Road.

International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day: Community Workshop, 1-3:30 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 946 Vermont St.

Tellabration: An international festival of storytelling, 2 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.

Saturday Afternoon Ragtime, 2-4 p.m., Watkins Community Museum, 1047 Massachusetts St.

Americana Music Academy Saturday Jam, 3 p.m., Americana Music Academy, 1419 Massachusetts St.

Play: “Cricket County Christmas Wedding,” 3 p.m., 620 Woodson, Lecompton.

Right Between the Ears 2014 Holiday Show, 5 p.m., Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts St.

Headpin Challenge, 6-9 p.m., Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa St.

American Legion Bingo, doors open 4:30 p.m., first games 6:45 p.m., snack bar 5-8 p.m., American Legion Post #14, 3408 W. Sixth St.

Play: “Cricket County Christmas Wedding,” 7 p.m., 620 Woodson, Lecompton.

Truckstop Honeymoon with Cowgirl’s Train Set and Carswell & Hope, 7-11 p.m., Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.

“The Love of Three Oranges,” 7:30 p.m., Free State High School, 4700 Overland Drive.

One-Act Performances, 7:30 p.m., Darby Hope Theatre, Baker University, Baldwin City.

More Nov. 23 events

Honey Beezz Flea Market, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Columbus Hall, 2206 E. 23rd St.

22nd Annual Holiday Open House, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Pendleton’s Country Market, 1446 East 1850 Road.

Lawrence Craft Collective Holiday Indie Craft Show, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Liberty Hall, 644 Massachusetts St.

Art Cart: Positive/Negative, noon-4 p.m., Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Mississippi St.

19th Annual Carnival of Chemistry, 1-4 p.m., Malott Hall, KU Campus.

Free State Brass Band presents “Fire in the Blood,” 2 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 946 Vermont St.

Richard Norton Smith: “On His Own Terms: A Life of Nelson Rockefeller,” 4 p.m., Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Drive.

Irish Traditional Music Session, 5:30-8 p.m., upstairs Henry’s on Eighth, 11 E. Eighth St.

O.U.R.S. (Oldsters United for Responsible Service) dance, 6-9 p.m., Columbus Hall, 2206 E. 23rd St.

Smackdown! trivia, 7 p.m., The Bottleneck, 737 New Hampshire St.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.