Wednesday, April 1, 2015
A gorgeous day is in store for this April Fools' Day with lots of sun and a high approaching 80, although it is expected to be a bit windy. Temperatures will start off in the 50s this morning before reaching the mid-70s by midday accompanied by winds up to 20 mph. It won't cool off much in the evening and it's expected to stay in the 60s come nightfall.
Arts and culture director reception
The public is invited to meet and mingle with the four finalists for the city's director of arts and culture position at a 7 p.m. reception in the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St. The candidates were announced last week and will briefly introduce themselves at the reception. The event is free and open to the public, and light refreshments will be served.
Art rock band Of Montreal comes to the Granada, 1020 Massachusetts St., for a 9 p.m. show (doors at 8) with special guest Yip Deceiver. The acclaimed band known for a bizarre, catchy sound is touring to support its latest album, "Aureate Gloom." Tickets were still available as of Tuesday, and cost $20. Before the show, check out our interview with Of Montreal front man Kevin Barnes about the group's freaky, fun live shows and why their act is a perfect fit for Lawrence.
- Lawrence man charged with animal cruelty, making threat
- New campaign finance reports in City Commission race; Rasmussen apologizes for accepting Crossland donations and returns funds; City Hall details projects to delay if police HQ moves ahead
- Free State High principal to resign
More April 1 events
• 1 Million Cups presentation, 9-10 a.m., Cider Gallery, 810 Pennsylvania St.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 9-10 a.m., Brandon Woods, 1501 Inverness Drive.
• Books and Babies (birth-23 months), 9:30-10 a.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Books and Babies (birth-23 months), 10:30-11 a.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Drury Place, 1510 St. Andrews Drive.
• University Community Forum: Ben MacConnell from Justice Matters, 11:30 lunch, noon presentation, ECM Building, 1204 Oread Ave.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County volunteer information, noon, United Way Building, 2518 Ridge Court.
• KU at the Capitol Concert Series: KU Brass Ensemble, Steve Leisring, director, noon, Kansas State Capitol Rotunda, SW 8th and SW Van Buren, Topeka.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 1-2 p.m., Babcock Place, 1700 Massachusetts St.
• Kaw Valley Older Women’s League: Transportation Programs and the Effect of KDOT Funding, 2-3:30 p.m., United Way Building, 2518 Ridge Court.
• Beatnik Cafe for ages 5-11, 3:30-4:30 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Dole Study Group: All Politics is Personal – A Gay Conservative Looks at the Culture Wars, 4-5:30 p.m., Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Drive.
• Teen Yoga, 4:15-5 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Douglas County Commission meeting, check website at http://www.douglas-county.com for meeting time, Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Massachusetts St.
• Presentation of “Champion of Child Abuse Prevention” award, 4-4:30 p.m., at Douglas County Commission meeting, 1100 Massachusetts St.
• Burger Basket night, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Lodge, 1803 W. Sixth St.
• Spaghetti dinner fundraiser for Boys and Girls Club, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Langston Hughes Elementary School, 1101 George William Way.
• Easter Eggstreme, 6-7 p.m., Lawrence First Church of the Nazarene, 1470 N. 1000 Road.
• The Beerbellies, 6:30-9:30 p.m., Johnny’s Tavern, 401 N. Second St.
• American Legion Bingo, doors open 4:30 p.m., first games 6:45 p.m., snack bar 5-8 p.m., American Legion Post #14, 3408 W. Sixth St.
• On Book: A staged reading of “Collected Stories” by Donald Margulies, 7 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Appomattox 150 with historical interpretations of Generals Grant & Lee, 7 p.m., Dole Institute, 2350 Petefish Drive.
• Ballroom/Latin Dance Class, 7-8:30 p.m., Big Six Room, Eldridge Hotel, 701 Massachusetts St. (No partner required.)
• On Book with Card Table Theatre, 7-8:30 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Conroy’s Trivia, 7:30 p.m., Conroy’s Pub, 3115 W. Sixth St.
• Free swing dancing lessons and dance, 8-11 p.m., Kansas Room in the Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd.
• Pride Night, 9 p.m., Wilde’s Chateau, 2412 Iowa St.