Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Nice day for a parade
St. Patrick's Day will be a wee bit cooler than Monday but still nothing to complain about. The day will start out with temperatures in the 40s and get up into the high 50s under sunny skies. Things will cool off in the evening with temperatures dipping down into the 30s.
Do you feel lucky?
Ah, St. Patrick's Day, the day when everyone looks a little bit greener and feels a little bit luckier.
The day's big draw as usual will be the annual downtown Lawrence St. Patrick's Day parade (and all the crazy floats) starting at 1 p.m. at 11th and Massachusetts streets, heading north and ending at 501 N. Ninth St. across the Kansas River Bridge.
Following the parade, several Irish-themed events are scheduled throughout the day, including a St. Patio Day concert at the Replay featuring several local music acts; Fraoch: Traditional Irish music for St. Patrick’s Day at Johnny's Tavern in North Lawrence; a St. Patrick's Day party and a St. Patty's Day poetry reading at the library; and a performance by Gwyneth, The Feral Flute at the Lawrence Arts Center. Oh, and of course, Guinness and green beer will be on tap pretty much everywhere.
- Kansas earns No. 2 seed in Midwest region, will tip off vs. New Mexico State at 11:15 a.m. Friday
- McLinn trial: Jury selection begins in CiCi’s Pizza owner slaying case
- Column: KU vs. WSU? Yes, please
More March 17 events
• Red Dog’s Dog Days workout, 6 a.m., Community Building, 115 W. 11th St. (11th and Vermont streets.)
• Kaw Valley Quilters Guild Meeting: Collaborating with Your Long Arm Quilter, 9:30 a.m., Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vermont St.
• Library Storytime for ages 3 & up, 10:30-11:15 a.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Lawrence St. Patrick’s Day Parade, 1 p.m., Downtown Lawrence.
• Lawrence Parkinson’s Support Group, 2 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 2415 Clinton Parkway.
• Annunciation Altar Society’s Annual Irish Stew Dinner, 5-7 p.m., Annunciation Catholic Church, 740 N. 6th St., Baldwin City.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County volunteer information, 5:15 p.m., United Way Building, 2518 Ridge Court.
• Books and Babies (birth-23 months), 6-6:30 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Lonnie Ray’s open jam session, 6-10 p.m., Slow Ride Roadhouse, 1350 N. Third St., no cover.
• Maker Meet-Up, 6:30 p.m., Lawrence Creates Makerspace, 512 E. Ninth St. (9th & New Jersey).
• Fraoch: Traditional Irish music for St. Patrick’s Day, 7-10 p.m., Johnny’s Tavern, 401 N. Second St.
• Tuesday Concert Series: Gwyneth, The Feral Flute, 7:30 p.m., Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.
• Gamer Night, 8 p.m., Burger Stand at the Casbah, 803 Massachusetts St., free.
• Slideshow photography group, 8 p.m., Gaslight Gardens, 317 N. Second St.