Wednesday, March 18, 2015
It was bound to happen. After a week or so of flawless weather, rain is in the forecast for today. The morning will start with temperatures in the high 30s and will only get up to the mid 40s before rain is expected to move in around noon and stick around through the evening.
Weathering the storm
Get a jump-start on the storm season: Join presenters from the National Weather Service in Topeka for Weather 101, a free, basic weather program that includes information about severe thunderstorm development, identification of important features, and safety and preparedness tips.Weather 101 is from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 New Hampshire St.
A real cut-up
Ever want to know how a hog becomes bacon? The folks at Hank Charcuterie, 1900 Massachusetts St., are inviting the public watch and learn at the shop's ongoing free butchering demonstrations at 6 p.m. every other Wednesday. Owner Vaughn Good and his sous chef, Jay Tovar-Ballagh, will be butchering a whole hog, answering questions and taking requests for cuts.
- Report contends that Chapel Hill, Orlando, many other cities better basketball towns than Lawrence; National Geographic highlights Lawrence
- Kansas Senate passes Brownback’s school funding overhaul
- McLinn trial: Years of sexual abuse brings multiple personality disorder, defense says
More March 18 events
• 1 Million Cups presentation, 9-10 a.m., Cider Gallery, 810 Pennsylvania St.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 9-10 a.m., Brandon Woods, 1501 Inverness Drive.
• Books and Babies (birth-23 months), 9:30-10 a.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Books and Babies (birth-23 months), 10:30-11 a.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Drury Place, 1510 St. Andrews Drive.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County volunteer information, noon, United Way Building, 2518 Ridge Court.
• The National Active and Retired Federal Employees, noon, Conroy’s Pub, 3115 W Sixth St.
• Class: Kids Cook Italian (ages 7-11), noon-2 p.m., The Community Mercantile, 901 S. Iowa St.
• Lawrence Public Library Book Van, 1-2 p.m., Babcock Place, 1700 Massachusetts St.
• Korso the Curious, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Douglas County Commission meeting, check website at http://www.douglas-county.com for meeting time, Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Massachusetts St.
• Burger Basket night, 5:30 p.m., Eagles Lodge, 1802 W. Sixth St.
• Korso the Curious, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• The Beerbellies, 6:30-9:30 p.m., Johnny’s Tavern, 401 N. Second St.
• American Legion Bingo, doors open 4:30 p.m., first games 6:45 p.m., snack bar 5-8 p.m., American Legion Post #14, 3408 W. Sixth St.
• NAMI-Douglas County Support Group meeting, 7-8:30 p.m. Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vermont St.
• Conroy’s Trivia, 7:30 p.m., Conroy’s Pub, 3115 W. Sixth St.
• Pride Night, 9 p.m., Wilde’s Chateau, 2412 Iowa St.