January 16, 2013
This photo of the ruins of Eudora's Bartusch Brewery is the only known image of the brewery, which supplied beer to Eudora's saloons and residents from roughly 1862 until 1882, when it closed because of state prohibition.
Stories this photo appears in:
State prohibition snuffed once-big business
Early Kansas settlers from Germany were accustomed to a life where celebrations, meals and most Sundays were washed down with fresh beer. To make that possible, even small towns had their own breweries. By Sara Shepherd.