Votes

Back to photo galleries

Old churches converted for new uses

A number of Lawrence's small, neighborhood churches built before 1900 have been renovated and converted into homes or businesses.

photo thumbnail

647 Maple St., North Lawrence. Built in 1897 as St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church, ...

photo thumbnail

In this 2009 file photo, St. James AME pastor Theodore Lee looks to the choir ...

photo thumbnail

The 1897 cornerstone of St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church, 647 Maple St. in North ...

photo thumbnail

1001 Kentucky St. Built in 1870 as United Presbyterian Church, now home to four condominiums.

photo thumbnail

In this 2007 file photo, Robert Wilson stands in one of four newly finished residential ...

photo thumbnail

1146 Connecticut St. Built in 1873 (possibly earlier) as Free Methodist Episcopal Church, currently being ...

photo thumbnail

Tom Harper, Lawrence, purchased and is renovating this former church at 1146 Connecticut St. into ...

photo thumbnail

Tom Harper, Lawrence, sands wood planks inside a former church at 1146 Connecticut St. Harper ...

photo thumbnail

1040 New Hampshire St. Built in 1870 as English Lutheran Church, now an office building.

photo thumbnail

Attorney David J. Brown is pictured inside his office building, a historic 1870 church at ...

photo thumbnail

1000 New York St. Built 1872 as German Methodist Episcopal Church, now a single-family residence.

photo thumbnail

Matt Hislope of Austin, left, and Josh Meyer of Los Angeles, pictured in this 2013 ...

photo thumbnail

Physical theater artist Molly Armstrong of Blue Lake, Calif., a two-and-a-half-week artist in residence, creates ...

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.