Field Notes

Bibelots and Bagatelles So soon! Kendra Herring took the curatorial helm of the Bourgeois Pig last month, and already her eye has steered the pub toward a course perfect for the venue's size. Bibelots and Bagatelles, Kjirsten Winters' aptly named collection of small, painted tokens of a bygone, theatrical era reach into that part of you that once rummaged through grandma's sewing box looking for antique buttons. ![][1]Her vivid depictions echo early 20th-century carnival posters; they're packed with romance and wonder, a nostalgic nod toward a place in us when we could still be impressed with derring-do and adventure. The Neighborhood Show Maybe it's just me, but it seems Lawrence turf pride may soon rival New York's: I mean, I'm hardcore Eastside, to the point I get a little bent up over the matter. The Neighborhood Show at the Signs of Life Gallery, however, is a more subdued and-okay, just say it-mature tribute to the niches of our fair Kansas town and what exactly makes them home to us. ![][2]From Heather Smith Jones' personal "diary," macro views of Paul Hotvedt's yard foliage, and John Reeves' quiet architectural viewpoint, to Rick Mitchell's structural explorations and Justin Marable's saturated skies, Lawrence takes on a personal tone that veers from boundary lines to a deeper sense of place. It's a lovely show in a lovely space.Jennifer Steinkamp If video/computer art has left you as cold and crusty as Clifford Still on a cloudy day, then might we suggest a trip down the road to the Kemper Museum's current Jennifer Steinkamp exhibit. Steinkamp has cracked the code to linking beauty, grace, and technology. Rather than push the viewer away with more tired images of close-up mouths, she indulges us with lush, lyrical colors that wash over the walls. ![][3] A tree wiggles in some cosmic wind and flowers cascade down vines and mysteriously envelope your shadow. This is a gorgeous show, visually soothing while at the same time throwing out enough pops and whistles to keep the kids and Aunt Philistine enthralled. OpeningsFriday, March 2 [Matt Habiger @ Limerance][4]. This is the first show by expressive painter Habiger. Born and bred in Lawrence, Habiger began painting at the age of 11. "My intention for my work has always allowed the viewer the freedom to come up with their own conclusions." (Limerance, 1520 Wakarusa, Suite D)Saturday, March 3 "[If This Wall Could Talk: Stories of Occupied Palestine.][5]" An interactive photo installation by Jaimie Oller and Joe Carr. Interactive elements will be featured during the opening reception beginning at 7:30 p.m. The photography exhibit will be on view through March 10 (ECM, 1204 Oread).[LOLA: Ladies of Lawrence Art @ Henry's][6]. Work by Leslie Kaluva, Molly Murphy, Heather O'Brien, and Emily Parker (Henry's Coffeeshop and Bar, 11 E. 8th St.). Opening reception is from 7 to 9 p.m. The show will feature work both upstairs and downstairs.Etc. Call to Artists: The East Lawrence Neighborhood Association's 7th Annual Yart Sale will be Saturday, March 31. The Yart Sale features live music, homemade baked goods, crafts, yard sale treasures, and you, selling your artwork. Interested? Please contact Dayna Carleton, [daynacarleton@yahoo.com][7]. [1]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/art/accordion.jpg [2]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/art/Heather_Smith_Jones_t450.jpg [3]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/art/psych250.jpg [4]: http://www.lawrence.com/events/2007/mar/02/18883/ [5]: http://www.lawrence.com/events/2007/mar/03/18884/ [6]: http://www.lawrence.com/events/2007/mar/03/18879/ [7]: mailto:daynacarleton@yahoo.com

Comments

Compy 12 years, 9 months ago

I don't enjoy "shows" at the Pig

It's too small and dark.

I just can't take an art show seriously when the art is taking a backseat to a popular location with a hip atmosphere.

I'd rather show my artwork at the library where you can actually see it... but you won't find the same crowd there (of course if you like eccentric people the library has the Pig beat any day of the week)

I definitely think more coffeeshops should feature local artists....it's a positive collaboration.

But when we try to make a scene or an event out of it, "openings", et al, it seems amateur.

I could understand if it was high school kids........ but established artists? KU professors?

Compy 12 years, 9 months ago

Upon posting I realise how negative that all sounds......... I would like to point out that I actually have high expectations for our local art scene and believe that a lot of these recent Pig artists simply deserve better.

lazz 12 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm ... Well, I'm not sure "established artists" really need to display in spaces like the Pig, so I'm not sure it's fair to criticize the Pig for not being an appropriate space for their work. But I'll avoid all that froo-froo preciousness and just drop in a word of thanks for what the Pig and so many others do to support local and regional artists, art patrons, art enthusiasts, and even the curious, the inquisitive, the ignorant, the ignorami, the drunkards and the caffeine hounds. I'm especially excited now that Kendra is curating for the Pig. Stuff is gonna be exciting there for sure, and this show looks especially good. I'm also thankful for this blog. You do a great job keeping us up to speed on the local scene, Leslie, thanks mucho. If you think of it, would you p'haps post a reminder later in the month about the ELA Yard Sale?

leslie 12 years, 9 months ago

I can see both sides to this. I personally don't hang out at the Pig much, and viewing the art there at night is impossible. That's why I tend to stop by during the afternoon--the light is better, and there's rarely more than 2 people in the place. As for openings, it's true that you usually can't see the art. BUT I think openings are important for artists to be able to "feel the love," so to speak, just like a band needs the energy of the crowd to pull off a good show.

True, shows at the Pig and any other space other than a well-funded gallery are not ideal. But there are benefits: Work gets shown, they tend to sell well, and it gives an opportunity for the public to buy affordable art. We'll have contemporary art spaces here again, but places like the Pig and the library will always be viable first steps to showing artwork.

lazz: Thanks for the kind words. I'm trying to get better about promoting word on the street events like Yart...

thetomdotdot 12 years, 9 months ago

Yes, yes, thanks Leslie. Between you and your old man, I'd be much less aware of what I never seem to get out of the house to do. Although I was able to answer some of J's questions about the Carol Ann Carter exhibit whlie waiting for E. That was cool.

Lazz, once you use "ignorami" you're a member. What's the word for that?

lazz 12 years, 9 months ago

An "ignorami" is some who attempts folded-paper art without knowing the first thing about it ...

kiki277 12 years, 9 months ago

You can show your work at the library, I'll show mine at the Pig. I am the artist currently showing there and I cannot speak highly enough of the experience. I am not a local artist, in fact I flew at my expense from Portland, Oregon to show there. I project that you WILL see a different calibre of art shown there with Ms. Herring curating. I did not sense anything amateur about the atmosphere at the opening. I think she, as well as I, as well as the people who attended created that. And the food was top shelf! I also think that if you want to have an "opening" next to a trash can fire in an alley so that an artist feels appreciated then do it I think that it is important to make art accessible to all people. Therefore a variety of venues is needed: coffee shops, libraries, galleries, hotel rooms, ebay, what have you. I also think that it is wonderful when an artist is shown support, in love and/or money in any way possible. And at the Pig they pay full commission so that is LOVE. They get the idea that art is what partly what brings people into the space to buy their fares, a mutual admiration society to be sure. I also have to say that yes, art does sell well there too. It's affordable art, its accessible to the students and workers in your town. And lastly, let me say, that I feel so strongly about this issue now especially because I received such an incredibly warm and heartfelt welcome from people in your town. I cannot get over the amount of appreciation and sincere gratitude i felt from people for just "bringing this to Lawrence." I love your town!! And the Bourgeois Pig. Thanks for discussing this topic. -Kjirsten Winters

I'm late to the conversation, so I'll make this quick.

I respect Compy's feelings, but I also think they contribute to the ghettoization of art. If the only places we can experience art are special places, set aside - as opposed to integrated into the fabric of our regular existence - then most people won't experience it.

I might go to the library to see a good exhibition. But I might not. I've seen Kijrsten Winters' works three times this week - and taken time to contemplate them a bit, too.

In truth, there's room for both approaches.

thetomdotdot 12 years, 9 months ago

Aaahhh. So the ignorami are actually a subset of those who practice the art of folding BS upon itself. The oxymorogomi.

Thanks