Best of Kansas City includes lots of Lawrence winners
The Pitch released its Best of Kansas City issue today, and Lawrence is pretty well represented, both by staff picks and readers' choice picks.
So, here we go:
Goods & Services
- Best Cool Stuff: Made, 737 Mass.
- Love Garden Sounds was voted Best Place to Buy Records; it also won Best Record Store in our Best of Lawrence contest.
Arts & Entertainment
- Local rockers Ghosty won Best Local Album;
- Lawrence musician Brodie Rush, of Be/Non, won for Best Music in a Theater Production;
- Kristie Stremel won the readers' choice for Best Local Band.
Food & Drink
- Queen Lizzy's Fish & Chips won Best Fish and Chips (and also won Best New Restaurant in our own Best of Lawrence contest);
- Munchers came in second for readers' choice in Best Bakery;
- Queen Lizzy's came in second for Best Breakfast, third in Best French Fries, and first in Best Takeout;
- Encore won second in Best Chinese Restaurant;
- Aladdin Cafe was Best Mediterranean Food; it has locations in KC, and won Best Middle Eastern Food in the Best of Lawrence contest;
- Minsky's won Best Pizza; it's new to Lawrence, but has several KC locations; Papa Keno's took home third.
- Johnny's Tavern, which won Best Place to Watch a Game in our contest, took home Best College Bar (it has three other KC-area locations); it also won Best Sports Bar;
Sports & Recreation
- KU sprinter and Olympic gold-medal winner Diamond Dixon was named Best College Athlete;
- Former Jayhawk Thomas Robinson, Best College Basketball Player;
- Allen Fieldhouse was voted Best Basketball Court;
- Clinton State Park was named No. 2 in the Best Campsite category;
- The Kaw Valley Kickball League took home third in Best Local Kickball League;
- Danny Manning was voted Best Jayhawks Basketball Player;
- Dayne Crist was voted Best Jayhawks Football Player;
- The Brew to Brew run was voted Best Organized Foot Race/Run;
- Snub alert: Mizzou's Frank Haith was named Best College Basketball Coach by the Pitch, and KU's Bill Self came in third behind UMKC coach Matt Brown and former Mizzou coach Norm Stewart in the readers' picks.