Peter Jackson to do Halo movie!

Peter Jackson is Executive Producing the Halo movie. Let that sink in. His multi-Oscar-winning production/sfx house WETA is also creating the entire Halo Universe for the film. This marks the first time in history that any sort of REAL credibility has been attached to a game-to-movie project. Halo fans should be absolutely floored. Non-Halo fan gamers should rejoice in the fact that this could be the start of a good trend. ![][1] The coolest part is that said credibility will attract the non-gaming audience. This is the first time non-gamers will actually WANT to see a game movie because of the notoriety of the production staff. Director choice and casting have to go through Jackson.Peter "kick you in the Oscar" Jackson says _"First, let me just say how honored and excited Scott and I are to be involved in this project. As huge fans of the game ourselves we know how high the bar is. We've made it our mission to try and involve the absolute very best people one can imagine in every capacity. Having developed a great relationship with Peter and Fran through the extraordinary Kong experience, and seeing first hand just how unique a filmmaking environment they have crafted, we approached them about the possibility of coming aboard to Exec Produce. Not surprisingly, they were already avid fans of the game, and given our existing shorthand, they said yes! To be able to continue our relationship with them on HALO of all projects is really a dream come true for us in the biggest possible way."_The director and cast are still unnamed, but the script has already been written by critically-acclaimed writer Alex Garland (28 Days Later.)This is a big victory for gamers:Halo fans or not. [1]: http://www.mothergoat.net/random/pjmc.jpg

Comments

Dan Ryckert 17 years, 4 months ago

I think everyone on here knows my feelings on Halo......but know this too:

I'd rather play Halo every day for the rest of my life than watch a single second of those goddamn Lord of the Rings movies again.

I may think Halo is overrated....but I flat-out HATE the Lord of the Rings movies (and I saw them all).

This movie seems right up my alley, eh?

gamer 17 years, 4 months ago

But even a LOTR and Halo hater HAS to admit this is a victory, credibility-wise.

BobDarkAvenger 17 years, 4 months ago

Just as long as it is not another Street Fighter...

gamer 17 years, 4 months ago

...or Super Mario Bros...or Mortal Kombat...or House of the Dead...

trevanon 17 years, 4 months ago

Sure, the credibility is huge. While Jackson's not directing just attaching his name to the title will make non-gamers take notice. I'll hold my final judgment until a director has been named, but as long as Uwe Boll (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark) stays the hell away from the project it shouldn't be too bad.

gamer 17 years, 4 months ago

If he was merely attaching his name to the project, he wouldn't gladly give over WETA to do the project. I am sure he'll be more hands on than you think...or I hope.

Hanluen Kuo 17 years, 4 months ago

Here are some things I hate in today's culture:

Halo Peter Jackson

It's as if someone from above purposely made this combo just to make me mad...seriously, you have no idea how funny this is to me; that these two things would pair further proves that god wants me to suffer in life.

I'll still see it though. :p

Andrew Monshizadeh 17 years, 4 months ago

so i'll see it, but i'm not too excited about the project. last time bungie had their full creative input on a project it was a disaster. add to that the fact that jackson's interpretation of the lord of the rings really was skewed and left out important aspects and i'm not too excited to see him take on the task of bringing halo to live action. now, i have never seen 28 days later but essentially all aspects of halo have been layed out in the books or games so there really isn't anything new to make up about the master chief unless the movie won't focus on mc but rather other spartans or the human forces (though i don't see that being a possibility). the only positive to this whole thing seems to be that weta is doing the visuals but i have alwasy been a fan of ilm and hold them in higher esteem than weta.

so overall, i'm not jumping up and down for this movie because everything going into it seems too faddish for me (jackson, weta, the script writer, bungie...).

gamer 17 years, 4 months ago

I don't understand how anyone can mark Jackson down for what he cut out of Rings. Do you realize how long the movies would've been to actually capture the entire books? Near impossible. You'd need 10 seasons of a 28 hour-long episodes to come close. The scope that Jackson achieved was nothing short of astonishing, whether you liked the story or not.

Also, who says it has to be brand new content?

Dean Royal 17 years, 4 months ago

This kinda scares me. More Halo? Seriously.

I believe Bungie recently reported they supassed the 500,000 subscriber mark for Halo 2 Live.

In other words, the Halo ARMY has grown to be 1/3 that of the active duty in all of the US Armed Forces (1.4 million: Wikipedia)

Is this OK?

gamer 17 years, 4 months ago

Actually Xbox Live surpassed 2 million. That was back in January.

Tim vonHolten 17 years, 4 months ago

wow, the fx team that has to replicate the mundane environments full of boxy architecture and uninteresting monsters is really going to have their work cut out for them. and getting the actors to move in a clunky and completely unnatural manner will be a challenge as well.

on a related matter, holy crap does "doom" look rotten.

Andrew Monshizadeh 17 years, 3 months ago

oh don't get me wrong, what jackson made of lotr was three pretty good movies, but there were so many important things in the books that were left out that i was slightly disappointed. also, my point about the halo universe already being layed out was just that the movie will either have to focus on something not so cemented in or just be a rehash of the books. either could end up being fairly ingaging scripts though i don't think i would be as excited to see the live action interpretation of "The Flood" as i would be a new facet of the halo universe.