The Grinch who waited until an appropriate time

I'm afraid I'm going to have to boycott 97.3 The Planet -- oh, say until about Thanksgiving or so.Normally I like the station. It's not "classic rock," a radio format I've come to despise. And unlike, say, 96.5 The Buzz, it doesn't sound like it's trying quite so hard to be hip and edgy. The Planet is what it is - a solid, not-too-metally blend of modern rock and some good classics, with an occasionally quirky program like "Jam Planet" on Sunday nights thrown in.Perfect, in other words, for a not-too-hip early thirtysomething guy like myself. Except for the frequency of Dave Matthews songs. But that's another story.Still, enough is enough.This Monday morning, in three separate short car trips, I heard three rock n' roll Christmas carols on 97.3. I got home, looked at the calendar: November 15. Yup -- still more than a week until Thanksgiving. In other words, still too early for Christmas carols.Yeah, I know, I'm being old-fashioned here. But in my day -- no, I'm not 80 years old -- you didn't start thinking about Christmas until Thanksgiving. (Well, actually, as a kid you started thinking about Christmas in early January; but the adults, at least new better than to feed the fever until Thanksgiving.)Clearly, though, I'm in the minority here. I saw the Christmas lights go up on downtown buildings last week -- though they haven't been turned on yet -- and some of the stores are already putting out their Christmas displays. At Dillons over the weekend, for example, the checkout employees were wearing Santa caps.In fact, I'd say I've seen signs of Christmas since right after Halloween.Why? Are we getting more Christmas than we used to? Have the 12 days expanded to 18? And if so, why wasn't I notified?Actually, we all know the reason. If there's more Christmas shopping season, the stores hope, there will be more Christmas shopping. I can't blame them; they're trying to make extra money for themselves and their employees.But consider this. When Christmas season started after Thanksgiving, we had to go through about a month of holiday sensory overload -- a little less than 10 percent of the year, in other words. If the season expands to nearly two months of the year, that's about 16 percent. Still a small number, but what's to keep it from getting bigger?Maybe, in some weird universe, it would be good to have Christmas year-round. I don't like the idea that much, myself -- if it's always Christmas, why should the actual Christmas seem special at all?So sorry, Planet. I'll wait until the weather outside truly is frightful before I start listening again.

Comments

barr 17 years, 7 months ago

We need more Thanksgiving rock songs.

(Bono wailing): DOOOO THEY KNOOOOOW IT'S TURKEY TIME AGAIN?

leslie 17 years, 7 months ago

I'm a crabby former retail gump who has grown to despise Christmas. I am trying to repress this and actually get into the spirit this year. I think if we held Christmas every 4 years, we would all enjoy it more. But like I said, I'm crabby.

CafeSiren 17 years, 7 months ago

CafeSiren belongs to a support group. Today she attended a meeting where the topic was...dealing with [issue X] during the holidays. And they weren't talkin' Thanksgiving, folks.

Luckily, I had read Joel's blog, so I could smile about it, and think: "Too early!!! Too early!!!"

Jason Barr 17 years, 7 months ago

Just remember, if you hate Christmas...the terrorists have already won.

quinn 17 years, 7 months ago

I now see the radio trades on a regular basis. My morning colleague and I are howling w/ laughter at the fact that at least a half-dozen stations around the country switched to 24/7 Xmas music right after Halloween.

barr 17 years, 7 months ago

Yes! They could also sing some of it in Spanish. It would definitely pass the global test.

mitzibel: Are they playing Christmas carols on Underground Garage? Cause if they are, I ain't listening.

Aufbrezeln Eschaton 17 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, but you can't expand said boycott to inclued Saturday nights at 10---c'mon, man, Underground Garage!!!!

Hilary Morton 17 years, 7 months ago

Joel, I'm a commuter, so I tune into Steve & Doug in the mornings as well, because they play different music. They don't have a play-list that consists of only 15 songs, and they're actually funny. Plus, I love Tony Meola. ANYHOO, I was so floored by this today, as well. Especially because one of the worst-written songs of all-time was the first thing I heard, "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I thought they were kidding. Simply a terrible call. And what's happened to Steve & Doug? Are they out of a job until January? Sad.

David Ryan 17 years, 7 months ago

Joel, perhaps this constitutes blogjacking (or topicjacking), but i can't resist pointing out to you the best christmas album in the history of time: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:i9a9kemtjq7n -- which is Phil Spector's Christmas Album.

If you ever have the chance to blast this album's wall-of-sound version of "Christmas" whilst your love walks smiling up the driveway in softly falling snow, you will have experienced why we do indeed keep living in this world....

barr 17 years, 7 months ago

Low has an incredible Christmas album as well. Check it out! I bought my copy at Love Garden last year. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003G1P3/102-0122780-4543312?v=glance

Dammit, David, now Leslie's going to have to hurt you.

OSLG 17 years, 7 months ago

I second that boycott.

However, mine may be permanent.

Not only did they play three Christmas songs in a row on Nov. 15th., but they played ONLY Christmas songs until ...well at least until noon...I kept checking back.

This would be bad enough, but the REAL reason to stop listening to the Planet is that they have disposed of one of the few on-air 'personalities' who actually has one (Doug from the Morning Show with Steven and DOug).

Sheesh!!!

What kind of management fires someone who was part of an award-winning show? (OK, it wasd only a local award as far as I know...but STILL!!)

What has happened to the Planet??

Remember KLZR???

And now, depression sets in....