What time is it?

I don't wear a watch. I tried, for years, but the darned thing felt like a handcuff on my wrist, so finally -- knowing that I'm anal-retentive enough to be five minutes earlier than anyone else to any event ever -- I gave up on the watch and decided I could rely on glimpsed timepieces that seem to be everywhere.The stumbling block was downtown Lawrence, at least for a couple of years. Until I got a cellular phone -- which doubled as a handy-dandy timepiece -- Massachusetts Street baffled me. How do you have a main street that doesn't have a big bank clock for all the pedestrians to look at? That was new, in my long and rich history of living in Kansas towns.The big giant clock in the 600 block of Massachusetts Street didn't really help, either. Because of the way the buildings were built, with a series of folds and recesses -- you really can't see the clock unless you're standing directly across the street from it. Making it less than useful.So I was pleased -- nay, thrilled! -- at lunchtime today in downtown Lawrence. Central Bank is putting in a location at Eighth and Mass streets, and they added a bank clock to the exterior! It's not digital, so you'll never know the temperature, but there's a clock! Glory be!Finally, downtown is complete.

Comments

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 2 months ago

Just another lovely spring day and I'm going to be inside under the rattling fluorescent light that only I can hear from now until 9. Sweet.

Michael Austin 17 years, 2 months ago

Amazing how quiet it can get.. isn't it ;)

oh_please 17 years, 2 months ago

How is the weight watchers thing going for you? You inspired me and I joined last week and I kid you not, lost 12 pounds in the first week. I have a lot to lose though. I did the core plan. I just gorge on veggies all the time and punctuate it with some sort of meat and some fruit. Hope you are still on the wagon. I am saving my extra points for booze!

Michael Austin 17 years, 2 months ago

We are all sleeping :)

Me,... I am heading to Lawrence for India Palace and live music!

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 2 months ago

did i chase everyone away with my negativity? or am i the only loser around on a friday night?

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

Such simple things can make life happier ;)

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 2 months ago

thank you mike. i'll disregard the taunt about india palace, then.

Michael Austin 17 years, 2 months ago

Hee hee.. funny thing is I can't find anyone to join me on this jaunt. Ah well,... on my own again!

lazz 17 years, 3 months ago

joel, you write "It's not digital..." as if you are sad about that. The analog clock is fabulous! -- but, a big glaring digital abomination would have ruined that beautiful corner. Now if somebody would just PLEASE bulldoze that card-shop building on the NW corner and do that spot over again, that intersection would be p'haps the best in Larryville...

lazz 17 years, 3 months ago

by the way, i'm with ya on going without a watch most of the time. not many guys do, so i guess that makes us rebels. or late.

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

I used to not wear watches at all. If I wore one it was usually less than a month before I would break them. Made me really shy away from getting any. Now I wear one all the time. I had to train myself to not break them, which, hasn't been totally successful, but I can keep watches around for about 6 months now.

leslie 17 years, 3 months ago

I think you guys are perfect candidates to bring back pocket watches. They're very cool. You can look like gunfighters checking to see if it's high noon yet.

lazz: Nah, I can live without digital. It's just that it's nice to know the temperature, sometimes, so you can gripe knowledgeably.

leslie: I'll have to grow a handlebar mustache, then, and start chawin' tobacky.

lazz 17 years, 3 months ago

pocket watches would be great, leslie. I have my great-grandfather's railroad pocketwatch, and I'd love to use it. except, it really needs a suit, I think, to pull it off correctly. A nice gold watch on a nice gold chain tucked into the front pocket of a pair of blue jeans just wouldn't be the look I'd prefer ... in general, we don't dress stylishly enough anymore to pull off the pocket-watch thing, which is a shame, really.

Mike: If you're thinking Deadwood, then you better @#$& practice your ((&#@! cursing, too, you @#$^!.

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

Aren't blazers in? Maybe a pocket watch and blazer? Would that be "stylish"?

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 3 months ago

I haven't had a watch in years that I wear often enough to even justify owning it. The last time I carried a timepiece, aside from my cell phone (DAMN YOU SPRINT), it was my grandmother's gold watch, like a pocketwatch but on a necklace-type chain. The chain broke years ago, and one cold morning waiting to take my medieval history final I dropped it on Wescoe Beach. It stopped ticking. Someday I'll bring it to someone who can fix it.
That whole thing came out kind of melancholy. Wow, I need a hug.

Carmenilla 17 years, 3 months ago

I was never fond of watches. My hubby calls them "the white man's handcuff". That explains it! I'm neither white nor a man!

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

I guess I am odd man out. I like to wear them,... I just beat the living pulp out of them. I get so that I feel sorry for buying a watch. It could have gone to a good home, but no, I had to slaughter it. Sorry....

Think I need a hug too PK... poor watches ;)

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

Joel: I agree. I was in the military 8 years and watching the first season of Deadwood made me blush. I would imagine that is probably a very true representation of the times. Dirty, bloody, uncivilized. Everything bad about the west all in one little town.

And I have a problem cussing. I am always spewing such filth as: "frick, fricken, darn, gosh darn, geesh!"

Guess I will have to go with an old John W. movie

"White Man's Handcuff" is the name of my new album, by the way.

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

An introspective Mormon (or was that Mennonite) musical album played with spoons?

leslie 17 years, 3 months ago

I disagree that you need to be a dandy to carry a pocket watch. Try silver or white gold chain w/ jeans. (oh, lordy, I'm giving fashion advice...I'll stop now, as I am thoroughly unqualified).

Carmenilla 17 years, 3 months ago

I think pocket watches are HOT!!! There is nothing like seeing a big dangling chain hanging from a guy's pocket. It makes me wonder what the size of his watch is.....mmmmeeeeeoooowwww!

lazz 17 years, 3 months ago

nope, can't be done, leslie, sorry. unless, of course, a guy aspires to be the high school A-V geek his entire life, pocket watches on a chain in jeans just wouldn't work. Also -- it does not a vest or a special watch pocket sewn into trowsers, or it gets damaged by keys, pocket knife, change ...

So, on the topic of watches, is anybody reading this blog one of those super-cool people who stop watches by wearing them? I'd love to hear a good explanation of that sometime ...

I'm just thrilled we got a "mmmmeeeeeoooowwww!" on the blog.

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

Lazz: I am very very confused... reading your entry gave me brain cramp. Could you explain this? super-cool people who stop watches by wearing them?" You wear watches and stop them? Or wear them for a stopwatch? err... umm... ow

Carmenilla is now scaring me...

"Is that a watch in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

wilson 17 years, 2 months ago

Sweet lord it's a hideous clock though. That faux-retro-on-the-cheap style they're going for with that bank isn't really working for me.

OtherJoel 17 years, 3 months ago

I too find watches constraining, and kind of gross in the summer. I have resisted cell phones (I LIKE the thought of being unreachable sometimes, and I'm lucky enough not to have a job that requires that kind of commitment). So I'm left with looking at clocks where possible. I spend a lot of time in my car, so I was usually OK with the car clock, but my electrical system has recently decided that it likes to kill everything running on any form of energy and start up again -- maybe just to make sure I'm paying attention (it was really scary the first time, but it only lasts a second, so I now I just curse the piece of crap and keep driving). Unfortunately that means the clock resets itself to 1:00. I've become a little superstitious about resetting it, because it seems like it won't have its little episodes until I have set the clock to the correct time. So I often figure out the actual time with respect to the clock time and go with that. I know - way more complicated than it has to be. I should 1) figure out what the hell is wrong with the car and 2) buy one of those keychain watches (!!!) and all would be fine. But life gets boring when everything is predictable, right? Maybe, but the truth is I'm just too cheap and lazy to do either.

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 3 months ago

plus, the little gremlins in your car might be waiting to ambush you when you pop open the fuse box. watch out, their claws are sharp!

lazz 17 years, 2 months ago

braided leather strap ... great idea, punkrockmom ... i'll keep an eye out for one ... toreador, my comment about "people who stop watches" is about people who tend to make watches no longer work. there are generally just some people who strap on watches and viola -- usually a matter of days -- and the watch doesn't work. probably just an urban legend and i'm an idiot ...

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 3 months ago

and that little, useless pocket is actually called a "watch pocket". now isnt that neat?

dave 17 years, 3 months ago

A watch pocket? Really? I had no idea.
For no apparant reason that makes my day to find that out. thanks

Melissa Lynch 17 years, 2 months ago

I agree with leslie, dave does sounds like a guy with style. And dave, you're welcome. I found that out a while ago in an advertising class. But, it is also good for carrying contraband. : )

jay_holley 17 years, 2 months ago

That little watch/drug pocket is also called a "fob pocket". A pocket watch doesn't require a chain, and unless you're wearing a suit, it's a rather bold accessory. An alternative to the chain is the fob. A watch fob can take the form a simple chain, ribbon, or piece of leather that you attach to a pocket watch in lieu of a full chain. The watch slips into the pocket, and the fob makes it easy to pull the watch out, and gives you something to hold on to so you don't drop your timepiece. It's the most discreet way to manage a pocket with jeans, other than going chainless. In the context of watches, 'fob' can also refer to any ornament hung on the end of the watch chain, so if you Google it don't be surprised if you find massive and gaudy western jewelery; if you look, though, there are elegant alternatives.

quinn 17 years, 2 months ago

hey Joel--

In answer to yr original question, it's 0739 MDT.

I'll be happy to provide updates as necessary.There's a little digital clock-thingy in the corner of my browser window.

Good god. Architectural criticism AND fob-defining, all on my blog. Some days I think about giving this all up... and then we talk fobs. My spirit is renewed.

lori 17 years, 2 months ago

I like being at South Park in the summer, with the trees obscuring the view of the clock tower. Our families are hanging out, kids playing, and I ask "What time is it?" and everyone just kind of shrugs their shoulders, as none of us carry a watch regularly. Perfect summer day.

My husband got a pocket watch from my dad. It is from the '30s and is a railroad watch. It is made to be used. He doesn't wear it as often as I wish he would; I personally think a pocket watch on a chain is amazingly, irresitably sexy. "What time is it, honey?" "Hmm, why don't you check my pocketwatch and find out?"

Nikki May 17 years, 2 months ago

I'm a girl, and I always had a pocket watch for about 5 years after my dad died. It was his. Now, he had a braided leather strap on his, and that worked great with jeans. (Good thing because he RARELY wore anything besides jeans). The watch stopped working a few years back, and so it sits in my jewelry box. Oh, back to the original topic, I was just downtown and didn't notice any bank. Real attentive person here,

Michael Austin 17 years, 2 months ago

you aren't a loser because you have to work on a Friday night ;)

just, um.. unlucky?

Michael Austin 17 years, 3 months ago

Hmm,. with the popularity of Deadwood, I might be up for it. Have to start praktisin ma quikdra.

Pocket watch requires a vest.... I don't think I own one.

lazz 17 years, 3 months ago

oops --- "it does not a vest" should have been "it does need a vest"

dave 17 years, 3 months ago

As I was reading this I thought "This man needs a pocket watch," but I see I'm not the only one to have that thought. But, am I the only one who regularly wears one?

Now I may not know much about style, but a pocket watch works wonderfully with jeans. They fit perfectly in the nearly useless little "drug pocket." With other pants and shorts that don't have such a convenient pocket, I'll usually go without the watch due to the aforementioned possibility of damage by keys or change.

leslie 17 years, 2 months ago

You guys should listen to dave here. He sounds like a guy with style.

Michael Austin 17 years, 2 months ago

I am starting to think women just want us to look silly. They are always out to get us you know...

I am still saying western suit, maybe even polyester, a nice lime green. I hear that is in this season.

Aileen Dingus 17 years, 2 months ago

You could get one of those watches that hangs upside down from your belt. Less chance of it getting banged up since it would hang near other hanging things that don't take abuse well either.