List time

Over at the Washington Post, pop music critic J. Freedom du Lac (yes, that's his real name) hosts [weekly online chats][1] to talk about, well, popular music.A recurring motif over there is for folks to post their five favorite songs of all time -- provided that each song is from a different genre of pop music. Here's J. Freedom's:_Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone ("folk"); Marvin Gaye, What's Going On (soul); George Jones, He Stopped Loving Her Today (country); The Who, My Generation (rock); The Clash, London Calling (punk)._OK. I'll play. Just offa the top of my head:¢ FUNK/SOUL: "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by The Temptations. (I can walk around for days with that bass line in my head.)¢ INDIE: "Sweet Marie" by The Anniversary. (Not sucking up to the local musicians; that's just a legitimately great album all around.)¢ CLASSIC ROCK: "More Than a Feeling" by Boston. (Where I first came to love power chords on the guitar.)¢ HIP-HOP: "California Love" by Tupac, featuring Dr. Dre. (I've never owned this album, but this song is a decade old -- and I still get a rush when I hear the hook.)¢ COUNTRY: "Wrecking Ball" by Emmylou Harris. (It pains me not to list Johnny Cash here, but damn, that's a great song on a great album. And I don't care how old Emmylou gets; she's remains one of the country's all-time most beautiful women.)You? [1]: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2006/08/23/DI2006082301341.html

Comments

CafeSiren 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't know if I've matched all these to the correct genres, but here goes:

All I Need To Get By -- Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell The Chain -- Fleetwood Mac Fade Into You -- Mazzy Star This Must Be The Place -- Talking Heads Hallelujah -- Jeff Buckley (Yes, I know that Leonard Cohen is more of a purist's version, but I like this one. Sue me.)

I won't be held to any of this, though.

You can come up with your own genres, if you like. Those are the ones i picked.

And everybody likes the Jeff Buckley version better. I'm no purist; I just like Leonard Cohen's world-weary-to-the-point-of-crushing-depression smoker's voice.

CafeSiren 11 years, 2 months ago

That's because I can't, silly. But I think they're all different genres, whatever they are.

Aileen Dingus 11 years, 2 months ago

I'll play...

1. embarassing 80's dirty little secret: Save a Prayer (Duran Duran)
  2. funk: Give Up The Funk (Parliament)
  3. country: Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash)
  4. classical: Grand Canyon Suite (Groffe)
  5. as current as I get: Naughty Girl (Beyonce)

clayhill70 11 years, 2 months ago

!. when the levy breaks(led zepplin-rock) 2.the sky is cry'in (stevie ray vaughn-blues) 3.i shot the sheriff(bob marley-reggae) 4.a thousand miles from no where(dwight yoakum-country) 5.man of constant sorrows(soggy mountain boys-bluegrass) 6.ain't no sunshine(bill withers-r&b) 7.two hangmen(mason profitt-folk) 8.runaround sue(dion-do wop) Seems to be a theme here. Wheres the Prozac?

OtherJoel 11 years, 2 months ago

Jazz: Blue Train -- John Coltrane R&B: Stevie Wonder -- Superstitious Hip hop: A Tribe Called Quest -- The Business Indie: Sonic Youth -- Candle Country: Johnny Cash: Ring of Fire (although Folsom Prison Blues would be a close second)

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

Given that 'genres' are inflicted on civilization by record compnay marketing departments, I make up the following based on current mood:

1) Kashmir - Led Zeppelin (Gothic Rock) 2) And You and I - Yes (Art Rock) 3) Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who (Stadium Rock) 4) Medley: Autumn/Heroine's Theme/Deep Summer's - Strawbs (Prog Rock) 5) Jessica - The Allman Brothers (Southern Rock)

Ok, my mood changed: 1) Drift Away - Dobie Gray (Soul) 2) This Land isYour Land - Woody (Folk) 3) I've Been Everywhere - Johnny Cash (Country) 4) Etude Op.10 No. 3 - Chopin (Classical) 5) Rock & Roll/Celebration Day - Led Zeppelin SRTS live version (Rock)

Oops, Hey, Whoo, she changed again: 1)Tumblin Dice - Rolling Stones (Rock) 2) Amazing Grace (Gospel) 3) Little Fugue in G Minor - J.S. Bach (Classical) 4) Natural Woman - Aretha (Soul) Actually makes me wish I was a woman and could sing 5) Adam's Song - Jackson Brown (Qualude Rock)

Bryan Anderson 11 years, 2 months ago

1. My Thang / James Brown (funk/soul)
  2. Hallelujah / Ryan Adams (alt. country)
  3. Game of Pricks / Guided by Voices (indie rock?)
  4. Can't Explain / The Who (classic Rock)
  5. Sloop John B. / The Beach Boys (classic pop)

Terry Bush 11 years, 2 months ago

I am going to forever date myself and reveal how completely un-hip I am, but oh well, it is the music I truly like....:

"Rhapsody in Blue" by George Gershwin (technically blues)

"The Impossible Dream" From Man of LaMancha (Broadway show tune) (music by Mitch Leigh and lyrics by Joe Darion)

"Respect" by Aretha Franklin (Classic Rock)

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto 1 (classical)

"As the Deer Longs" Psalm 42 arranged to music by Bob Hurd (hymn)

Shelby 11 years, 2 months ago

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" - The Beach Boys - POP

"O Magnum Mysterium" - Morten Lauridsen - CHORAL(? I hate genres)

"Old Folks Gatherin'" - Charles Ives - Classical(or experimental/Americana....I REALLY HATE GENRES)

"Quicksand" - Dinosaur Jr. - FOLK ROCK

"Debris Slide" - Pavement - NOISY FUN NEARLY UNLISTENABLE PARTY ROCK

Aufbrezeln Eschaton 11 years, 2 months ago

Here's mine, by decade: '60's: "War Pigs" Black Sabbath (I know, it was released in '70, but it was written in '68/'69) '70's: "Comfortably Numb" Pink Floyd '80's: "I Wish I Didn't Love You So" as performed by k.d. lang '90's: "Aenima" Tool '00's: "Carbon" Tori Amos

Aileen Dingus 11 years, 2 months ago

Ladylaw- hubby played bass trombone for Robert Goulet last time Goulet played Reno. "Impossible Dream" was one of the tunes. :)

I like Misty's idea. I'll go back another decade to encompass the entire rock era. (As Dotdot notes, these things can shift by mood, from day to day, hour to hour.)

50s: "That's Alright" Carl Perkins 60s: "Hey Jude" by The Beatles 70s: "Satellite of Love" by Lou Reed 80s: "Love Shack" by B52s 90s: "Possum Kingdom" by Toadies 00s: "Crazy in Love," Beyonce and Jay-Z.

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

50s: "All Shook Up" Elvis Early 60s: "Little bit o' Soul" ? Later 60s: "Keep me Hangin On" Vanilla Fudge 70s: "Achilles Last Stand" Led Zeppelin 80s: yeah, right 90s: "Pillar of Davidson" Live (so shoot me) 00s: drawing a blank here.

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

80s "My Hometown" Bruce Springsteen 00s "Eyes Wide Open" Creed (shoot me again) 00s "Hallelujah" Rufus Wainwright (I can't help it)

chewyfally 11 years, 2 months ago

I'll stick with your genres, just for kicks.

¢ FUNK/SOUL: "Oh What A Night," Frankie Valli

¢ INDIE: "Indian Summer" Pedro The Lion (although "Sweet Marie" comes in as a very close second)

¢ CLASSIC ROCK: "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Rolling Stones (first song I ever played at the first radio station I worked at)

¢ HIP-HOP: "Just A Friend" Biz Markie

¢ COUNTRY: "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Indident)," John Michael Montgomery..... also "A Boy Named Sue" is a big favorite.

alm77 11 years, 2 months ago

chewy, I like your list the best so far. I'm trying here, but nothing is coming to mind. I like alot of music, so maybe I'll sleep on it.

adrian 11 years, 2 months ago

Soul: Ray Charles, "Mess Around"

Jazz (male vocal): Will Young, "All The Things You Are"

Jazz (hard bop): Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, "Moanin'"

Bossa nova: Getz/Gilberto, "Corcovado"

Undefinable: Billy Q. Effinger, "Warlock Supreme"

Deb Townsend 11 years, 2 months ago

Country: Dolly Parton, "Coat of Many Colors" and Willie Nelson, "Always on My Mind"

Jazz: Chris Botti, anything he does, period.

Broadway: Les Miserables, "I Dreamed a Dream"

Blues:Sharon Rush Band arrangement and performance of "Voodoo Queen"

Indie: Death Cab for Cutie "Soul Meets Body"

Classical: Bach's "Sonata in G Minor" arranged for marimba and performed by my WONDERFUL HUSBAND.

70's: Stevie Wonder,"Isn't She Lovely?" 80's: Queen, "Radio Ga Ga" 90's: Counting Crows "Mr. Jones" 00's Outkast "The Way You Move" (forgive me)

edie_ 11 years, 2 months ago

I want to particpate! But I couldn't narrow down my favorite categories. Here it is for me, in a cheating way:

Funk / Soul: The Mighty Hannibal "The Truth Shall Set You Free" 70's: Nico "The Marble Index" Rockabilly: Macy Skip Skipper "Bop Pills" OR Dave Diddle Day "Blue Moon Baby" Girl Groups: The Shangri-La's "Remember: Walkin'In The Sand" Punk: X-Ray Spex "The Day the World Turned Dayglo" Surf: The Centurions "Intoxica" Garage: The Gories "View from Here" 60's Garage: The Sonics "The Witch" Country: Dolly Parton "In My Tennessee Mountain Home" New Wave: b-52's "Planet Claire" Memphis Blues Punk: The Oblivians "Final Stretch" Folk: Dock Boggs: everything he ever did Religious Ventriloquism: Marcy Sings! "I'm In The Lord's Army" Exotica: Dick Hymen and Mary Mayo "Moon Gas" Actors Turned Singers: Anthony Quinn "In My Own Way" OR Vicki Lawrence "Killing Me Softly" (what a HONKY) Classic Punk: The Clash "The Guns of Brixton" Showtune: West Side Story "Officer Krupke" OR Rocky Horror "Sweet Transvestite" Soundtrack: "Rosemary's Baby" OR "For A Few Dollars More" Occupational Vocal Groups: The Singing Doctors "At Your Cervix" Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin "Dancing Days" OR ELO "Mr. Blue Sky" Christmas Song: anything off a Christmas album by Neil Diamond or Barbra Streisand Goth: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Saint Huck" Chanteuse: Edith Piaf "Padam...Padam" Sun Records: Carl Perkins "Her Love Rubbed Off" Pop Love Song: Psychedelic Furs "Love My Way" Greatness that defies category: Screamin' Jay Hawkins "I Hear Voices" OR "Frenzy" Teen Tragedy: The Whyte Boots "Nightmare" Torch Song: Julie London "Cry Me A River" Glam Rock: David Bowie "Time" Industrial: Wall of Voodoo "Factory" Rockbilly Revival: The Cramps "The Most Exalted Potentate of Love" Metal: Black Sabbath "Faeries Wear Boots"

CafeSiren 11 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm... "hallelujah" came up three times, with three different singers (four, if you count the oblique reference to Leonard Cohen). Are we all talking about the same song here?

And if so, does this mean that this song wins something?

scary_manilow 11 years, 2 months ago

R&B: Esquerita, "Hole In My Heart"

Soul: Mary Wells, "Bye Bye Baby"

Funk: The Mighty Hannibal, "The Truth Shall Make You Free"

Doo-Wop: Richard Berry, "Have Love, Will Travel" OR The Rivingtons, "Momma Ooo Mow Mow"

Girl Group: The Whyte Boots, "Nightmare"

Rockabilly: Hasil Adkins, "She Said"

Rockabilly (revival): The Cramps, "Bikini Girls With Machine Guns"

Country: Johnny Cash and June Carter, "Peace In The Valley"

Alt. Country: The Handsome Family, "Down In The Ground"

Bluegrass: The Louvin Brothers, "The Great Atomic Power"

Folk: The Stanley Brothers, "Pretty Polly"

Garage (60's): The Sonics, "He's Waiting"

Garage (revival): The Oblivians With Mr. Quintron, "Live The Life"

Surf: Johnny And The Hurricanes, "Cross Fire"

Surf (revival): Satan's Pilgrims, "Morpheus"

Punk: The Damned, "New Rose"

Post-punk: Scratch Acid, "El Espectro"

Alt. rock: The Pixies, "Velouria"

Noise: Pussy Galore, "All Right!"

Glam: The New York Dolls, "Jet Boy"

Classic rock: Electric Light Orchestra, "Showdown"

Heavy metal: Slayer, "Seasons In The Abyss"

New Wave: New Order, "True Faith"

Goth: The Birthday Party, "Deep in The Woods"

Psych-rock: The 13th Floor Elevators, "Roller Coaster"

Blues: Skip James, "22-20 Blues"

Blues rock: The Gun Club, "Preach The Blues"

Dance (60's): The Orlons, "Wah-Watusi"

Dance (70's) Blondie, "Atomic"

Dance (80's): Prince, "Let's Get Crazy"

Pop (60's): Neil Diamond, "I'm A Believer"

Pop (70's): Cheap Trick, "Surrender"

Pop (80's): The B-52's, "Private Idaho"

Lounge: Dick Hyman and Mary Mayo, "Moon Gas"

Exotica: Yma Sumac, "Goomba Boomba"

Jazz: Sam Taylor, "Real Gone"

Jazz (vocal): Bessie Smith, "A Good Man Is Hard To Find"

Ska: Desmond Dekker, "Fu Manchu"

Bizarre: Mrs. Miller, "Catch A Falling Star"

Honorable Mention: Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood, "Some Velvet Morning"

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

Cafesiren;

My carefully cultivated lack of sophistication glares next to scary and edies lists (they should teach an appreciation class - I would attend), and my "hallelujah" is from the "Shrek" soundtrack. The song is sort of a joke, but it catches my throat nevertheless.

CafeSiren 11 years, 2 months ago

Yes, if I'm in a particular mood, it always brings tears to my eyes. There are about 15 different verses, and people who cover it mix and match to suit their taste, but I think the Rufus Wainwright version that you know uses the Jeff Buckley verses. It's been used so often that it's become a kind of audio cliche for transcendent love and separation therefrom (many of the verses combine religion and sensuality), but it is truly beautiful, nonetheless.

Yeah. I think I want Rob n' Edie to DJ my next party...

bloozman 11 years, 2 months ago

Chicago Blues: "Sweet Home Chicago" Freddie King (1972 live album) Texas Blues: "When Rita Leaves" Delbert McClinton Blues instrumental: "Drown in My Own Tears" Ronnie Earl Swing Blues: "Caledonia" Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown Country Blues: "Invitation to the Blues" Bill and Bonnie Hearnes Country Blues II: "Love in Vain" Rolling Stones ("Stripped" album) Delta Blues: "Parchman Farm" Bukka White Homegrown Blues: "Goin' Down Slow" Mike Finnigan with Dave Mason Band (live album) Blues converted from pop: "Runaway" Bonnie Raitt Blues converted from psychedelia: "Just Dropped In" Tinsley Ellis Blues converted from country: "Folsom Prison Blues" Keb' Mo' Blues performance by a female icon: "Wild Women Don't Get the Blues" Francine Reed Drinking Blues: "Beer Drinking Woman" Roy Buchanan Blues duet: "I Don't Wanna Cry" Chuck Jackson and Cissy Houston Blues duet II: "Hold On, I'm Comin" B.B. King & Eric Clapton Blues by bluegrass band: "1984 Blues" Austin Lounge Lizards Blues fiddle: "Stardust" Papa John Creach Socially aware Blues: "Bourgeois Blues" Leadbelly Humorous Blues: "Roberta, Roberta" The Rev. Billy C. Wirtz Blues about chickens: "Chicken a la Blues" Cousin Joe Pleasant

Scottie Walker 11 years, 2 months ago

Funk/soul: "I Can't Get Next to You", The Temptations finest moment, IMO

Soul/R+B (yes, I know it's cheating): "Funny How Time Slips Away" by Al Green. Heartbreaking.

70's Classic Rock: "Funk 49", James Gang

60's CR: "I'm Not Like Everybody Else", the Kinks

Pre-Funk Proto-Fusion: "Machine Gun", Band of Gypsys. Had to get that in.

Country: "John Henry's Hammer", Johnny Cash at Folsom

Hard Funk: "F.U.N.K." Betty Davis. Pure Badass.

Indie: "Glenn", Slint

90's Metal: "Sweet Willy Rollbar/ Revolve", the Melvins (they're a metal band, people! It's okay!).

Stoner Rock: "Spacegrass", Clutch. Even though they're not really a stoner band anymore.

70's Metal: "Into the Void", Sabbath.

80's Metal: sucked mostly.

90's Punk: "I Don't Wanna Grow Up", Ramones

70's Punk: "Spanish Bombs", The Clash

Miscellaneous: "Russian Dance", "Temptation", "Anywhere I Lay My Head"; Tom Waits. Three completely different genres, and who cares what they actually are.

Scottie Walker 11 years, 2 months ago

oh yeah:

Blues: "Nobody's Dirty Business", Mississippi John Hurt

70's Jazz: "Journey to Satchidnanda" Alice Coltrane. I can't even pick 50's and 60's.

World: Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhin, "East Meets West"

90's Pop: "El Scorcho" by Weezer. Yes, pop!

and definitely not least:

Best Song by Muppets: Not "Rainbow Connection", but "When the River Meets the Sea" from Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. The greatest spiritual ever written by a tiny white man with a coke problem. For real.

Terry Bush 11 years, 2 months ago

Ya'll are a bunch of rule breakers! LOL. He said FIVE songs.... 5 categories... Over achievers! LOL.

Nick Spacek 11 years, 2 months ago

Punk: "New Rose", the Damned Classic Rock: "Goodbye Stranger", Supertramp Rockabilly: "Mean Machine", Gene Savage Garage: "Strychnine", the Sonics Current: "Out Here All Night", Damone

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

Cafesiren: I had no idea. My kids wanted the Shrek soundtrack for the smashmouth songs. I started noticing "hallalujah" in the car as a result. Truly an accidental but pleasant 'discovery'. I think the song elevated the movie.

I hereby annonce my guilt for ignoring Leonard Cohen all these years.

Joel: Between the mp3 sites ( I don't want to mention itunes by name) and this blog, I'm going to be busy checking out peoples favorites that I never heard of.

Thanks. I mean, you know, for real.

Beck Wilson 11 years, 2 months ago

For those wanting to make a list simply of their five favorite Hallelujah covers:

Bryan Anderson 11 years, 2 months ago

The Ryan Adams song "Hallelujah" is not the one written by Leonard Cohen.

But if I were doing a Leonard Cohen "Hallelujah" list it would go: 1. John Cale 2. Leonard Cohen 3. Rufus Wainwright 4. Jeff Buckley 5. I dunno

thetomdotdot 11 years, 2 months ago

1. Rufus Wainwright
  2. John Cale
  3. Jeff Buckley
  4. Sheryl Crow (although a little fast for my taste, and WTF with the "minor third and major fifth" - redundant and shades the whole verse)
  5. Daisy Chapman

John Cale is in Shrek, and Rufus Wainright is on the soundtrack. The world is complex.

Thanks, Beck. I enjoyed reading the comments on this site over the weekend. Whats funny is that no matter how oft covered a tune is people are still accusing one or another of being derivative.

morganalefay 11 years, 2 months ago

Hmmmm. This is a challenge for me, Joel. How am I supposed to narrow things down to five selections from as many categories? Since I have so many favorites in several categories, I'm going to have to select those songs that were particularly influential for me.

1. Classic Rock: "Subdivisions" - Rush (my teenage angst in clear text. To this day, I still have an irrational fear of subdivisions. I imagine that living in one would bring on a panic attack relatively quickly - and I am not prone to panic attacks! This song "spoke" to me at the same time as Holden Caulfield did in the realm of literature - Hey there's a thought: Do a similar list for literature!)

2. Punk: "Combat Rock" - The Clash (this got me started in my punk/dark wave phase, which in turn caused me to lust after Joey Ramone in a perfectly innocent way)

3. 80s "Pop": "Let the Good Times Roll" - The Cars (I'm reluctant to call The Cars "pop" because they were so much more than that, but for lack of a more appropriate category, they are 80s pop for now. I cringe at the mere words, but I can't think of anything else...)

4. Dark Wave: "Killing an Arab" - The Cure (The album "Standing on a Beach" was immensely important for me in college. When I went out on the weekends I looked like a cross between Robert Smith and Siouxsie Sioux)

5. Folk: "Find the Cost of Freedom" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (this spoke to my environmentalist/political activist days in college. I also always used to play "Ohio" as I passed through Kent, OH on road trips)