The "Christmas Story" home

From [The New York Times:][1]Though originally panned by critics as a dark depiction of the holidays, "A Christmas Story" has earned status as a movie classic, rivaling long-time seasonal favorites like "It's a Wonderful Life." Now fans from as far away as Los Angeles and Phoenix are flocking to a gritty Cleveland street overlooking a steel factory to visit the Parker family house restored to its movie glory. ![][2]_A San Diego entrepreneur, Brian Jones, bought the house sight unseen on e-Bay for $150,000 in December 2004. He grew up watching "A Christmas Story" every year with his family. After Mr. Jones failed the vision test required to become a Navy pilot, his father tried cheering him up by building him a lamp with a woman's leg as the base, similar to the one that enchanted Ralphie's father in the movie. Watching the movie frame by frame, Mr. Jones drew plans of the Parker home. He spent $240,000 to gut the interior and transform the house into a near-exact copy of the movie set. (Darryl Haase, a tour guide, apologizes that the new stairwell is a few inches narrower than the one where Ralphie modeled his pink bunny pajamas.) To make the home feel more authentic, Mr. Jones hopes to install a stereo that recreates the sounds of Mr. Parker in the basement, swearing at the furnace. He briefly considered a Cleveland businessman's offer to blow artificial smells of food, including Mrs. Parker's cooked cabbage, through the house's heat ducts. __About 4,300 people toured the house on opening weekend in November, Mr. Jones said. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under. He has no official attendance projections, but expects at least 50,000 visitors a year. _That's nothing. I'm building a scale model of the Death Star in my back yard. [1]: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/us/06cleveland.html?th&emc=th [2]: http://www.fadtoys.com/celebrity/movies/ralphie-lg.jpg

Comments

Aufbrezeln Eschaton 15 years, 8 months ago

Oooh, oooh, I wanna play with the Deathstar! I promise not to blow up any planets anyone actually cares about, really!

Seriously, though, my husband, who thought I was culturally deprived because I had never before seen "Brisco County, Jr." has never ONCE viewed "A Christmas Story". I have no idea how he's managed to avoid it, but he's really good at blocking out stimuli he has no interest in, so . . .

thetomdotdot 15 years, 8 months ago

I wasn't going to say anything, but, uhhh, me neither. Maybe I'll catch it this xmas.

OtherJoel 15 years, 8 months ago

I read another article on this guy somewhere. In that one, he was posing for a photo in front of the house with the BB gun and some character drives by, yelling, "you'll shoot yer eye out with that thing!"

Those wacky Clevelanderianites or whatever you call 'em.

Oh, and I will destroy your Death Star with my mad X-Wing piloting skillz, yo.

Doug 15 years, 8 months ago

We all know Joel is lying through his teeth.

I mean, he is married, after all. What wife would allow any husband to build a scale model Death Star in her backyard?

Why do you think George Lucas is single?

What's really great is the guy is selling four different versions of the leg lamp from a full-size model to a Christmas ornament. If electric sex doesn't signify peace on earth, goodwill toward men, I don't know what does.

alm77 15 years, 8 months ago

"What wife would allow any husband to build a scale model Death Star in her backyard?" a wife with a deep appreciation for $5 for adults and $3 for children....

lori 15 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe it, Joel. What's wrong with the Galactica? What's with this "Deathstar" shit?

Jo_s_mom 15 years, 8 months ago

I thought I sent a comment yesterday, but evidently not. If it shows up twice (after being lost in cyberspace for a while), I apologize. Regarding the wife and the model Deathstar...

I happen to know she was subjected to the first Star Wars movie at the tender age of 2 weeks. It was her first flick...so she might actually let him do it. (Subliminal programing, you know) Considering the size of Joel's backyard however, it would have to be a pretty small scale. I think we're safe from the Galactic Empire at this point.