The British are stupid

![][1][Via The Globe and Mail:][2]The debut album by Oasis, the band that helped spread the Britpop craze of the 1990s, has been voted the greatest album of all time in a major British music poll published yesterday.Definitely Maybe, which featured chart-topping hits such as Live Forever and Supersonic, beat Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the much-loved Beatles into second place in the survey of more than 40,000 music fans.Another Beatles album, Revolver, came third, followed by Radiohead's OK Computer and a second Oasis title, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?__The poll to find the top 100 albums was organized by the book British Hit Singles & Albums and music website NME.com, with votes coming from as far afield as New Zealand and Colombia.Joel sez: Oasis? Really? Where's Gary Glitter on this list?Contest winnerNow, the winner of the [Paul Gleason Memorial Character Actor All-Star Team.][3] The challenge, of course, was to re-cast "Star Wars" with a bunch of actors whose faces and personas -- but not names -- are well-known to regular moviegoers.Honorable mention: JD's "The Police Academy Strikes Back" cast. It's not exactly what I was looking for in this contest, but the concept was beautiful in its own right, and deserves recognition. [Also, JD tends to pout when not given recognition.][4]First Runner-Up: Almost sold me with Curtis Armstrong as R2-D2. Harry Morgan was a misstep, however, one so egregious I couldn't overlook it.That leaves...![][5]The Champion: Jester. It was his casting of Billy Zabka -- the evil blonde kid from "The Karate Kid" - as Luke that was such a brilliant masterstroke, along with Kenneth Mars as Darth Vader, that won him the championship. Well-played, Jester. You get some L.com swag, whenever you choose to pick it up.Jester's cast:Luke Skywalker: William Zabka Obi-Wan Kenobi: Harry Dean Stanton Yoda: Gedde Watanabe Darth Vader: Kenneth Mars Han Solo: Cary Elwes Princess Leia: Maggie Gyllenhaal C3PO: Michael Ian Black R2D2: Luis Guzman Chewie: Benecio Del Toro Lando: Cleavon Little (RIP)Finally...... if you're a fan of the Kansas blogosphere, [Emaw_KC][6] hosts a weekly roundup of the [the Kansas Guild of Bloggers.][7] If you have a favorite posting from a Kansas blog during the last week, submit it [here.][8] [1]: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/graphics/2005/05/23/hdent23.jpg [2]: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060602.NOTE02-4/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/ [3]: http://www.lawrence.com/blogs/mathis/2006/may/30/rip/ [4]: http://www.evolution-nextstep.com/archives/2817 [5]: http://www.hotbadguys.com/images/zabka.jpg [6]: http://3oclockam.blogspot.com/ [7]: http://3oclockam.blogspot.com/2006/05/kgb-carnival-for-may-29.html [8]: http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_170.html

Comments

j_d 16 years, 1 month ago

That was awesome.

Your offering placates me. We are pleased. And the virgins go over there.

Jocelyn Craft 16 years, 1 month ago

//rant on

Never did like Oasis. Maybe it was the frontman's whining nasality, maybe it was the kind-of-blah britpop sound with pseudo-deep nonsensical lyrics, or maybe it was just the unbelievable hubris that caused lead singer guy to say something like "We're going to be bigger than the Beatles."

Now in some strange, twisted way, they did it, didn't they? Something of theirs got rated higher than something by the Beatles.

I was wondering about that oh-so-provocative title there, Joel. Now I understand.

//rant off

Jocelyn Craft 16 years, 1 month ago

hehe, would have been the first to comment if I hadn't had to edit for language so many times....

leslie 16 years, 1 month ago

My next stop on the Leslie Is Sick to the Gills With the Beatles Tour: Denmark. Watch 'em fall!

Marcy McGuffie 16 years, 1 month ago

Oasis...really? Hmm. I admit, I went through an Oasis phase...and while I rarely throw cd's out...that didn't stay in my collection very long. I blame my liking them on a kid I went to high school with -- his name was Joe and I had a crush on him. So, we'd sit in lit class and discuss The Beatles and Oasis. What was I thinking? I would say I am above that kind of behavior now...but, that would be a lie. When cfd and I started dating, we watched Napolean Dynamite and I (like the fool I am) pretended to like it. Big mistake...you'd think the world ended when I confessed my hatred for everything Napolean...

thetomdotdot 16 years, 1 month ago

Oasis..., Oasis...hmmmm.

Did somebody fart?

Nick Spacek 16 years, 1 month ago

AWESOME.

Can I come by and get it today? 'Cause I got nothin' better to do.

Real name: Nick Spacek.

Nick Spacek 16 years, 1 month ago

See you then. I'll be in need of an LPT trip around that time, anyhow.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 16 years, 1 month ago

"Benecio Del Toro"? Is he really a character actor? I mean, can a guy be "A" list and still be a character actor?

Clevon Little. Just saying the name is a running joke. No punch line needed, just toss in "Clevon Little". Good one.

Nikki May 16 years, 1 month ago

Interesting list, congrats, Jester.

Oasis? really? (Sorry, Joel, I know you said that already, but I have to concur) that's lame. Now I need to look at the rest of that list. OK, so upon further review, that list isn't horrid. However, Oasis? I bet they did a myspace campaign or something to get people to vote. I just can't imagine how they could top all those other bands. Although, it is possible that the demographic of that publication is just the age that Oasis IS their #1 choice. I don't know what age that is though.

balance71 16 years ago

For the record, I was kidding about Harry Morgan, as I was with most of my picks. I guess I'm the only person who thinks Obi-Wan yelling "HORSE HOCKEY!!!" at a Willie Ames-played Luke would be hilarious.