Saturday morning, and music

On a beautiful Saturday morning in April, my wife and I wake up when the sun starts flooding in our bedroom windows, about 6:30. We linger for a few minutes -- no need to begin the routine that accompanies our weekday alarms -- then gather ourselves together, and walk a couple of blocks to the Farmers Market.We smell the grill from the Flory's sausage biscuit folks a block away. My wife walks to get a scone while I approach the Florys for the first time this spring. "I've been waiting for this," I tell them. "I didn't have a good breakfast all winter."We stroll through the market, contemplating herbs and grass-fed meats, with music accompanying our shopping. Here: a young woman covering Iron & Wine's cover of The Postal Service. (That I know this tells me that Lawrence has had an influence on me.) There: Three Bean Salad - a trio that includes my colleague Mike Yoder - playing folk music.My wife must work, so we part, and I walk to La Prima Tazza, managing to claim a spot just ahead of all the sweaty joggers participating in Red Dog's Days. I read the Journal-World, then the New York Times. I love, love, love the Internet age - how could I not? - but there's a tactile loveliness that saturates a lazy Saturday morning spent with real paper and coffee in hand.Then I walk home.Already, at 10 a.m., Lawrence's downtown is alive. A few weeks ago, I was sitting in front of The Pig when a young man with an indeterminate European accent nudged me and asked why there were so many people out and about. "It's a beautiful spring day in Lawrence!" I replied."There is no holiday?" he asked, seemingly perplexed.Nope. Though there are, these days, a few more empty storefronts than is strictly preferable, there remains an instinct among many Lawrencians to converge upon Mass Street in good weather. And, again, to bring the music. As I pass Signs of Life, a young man stands nearby puffing away on a harmonica. A couple of blocks later, as I weave my way through all the patient would-be-breakfasters outside Milton's, I hear a somewhat-less-young man with his guitar, singing Neil Young's "My My, Hey Hey."I've said it before, so I won't bore you with the details. But when I moved to Lawrence seven years ago, it felt like a gamble. Clearly, I won: I have a wonderful wife, Flory's sausage biscuits and the satisfaction of a music-drenched Saturday. This is a good morning.

Comments

thetomdotdot 13 years, 12 months ago

We might have bumped! Although My My Hey Hey was Freebird by the time we passed by the somewhat less young guy.

Sorry I missed you.

Just walked downtown again tonight. My My Hey Hey guy was still there, 12 hours later, still singin' the Neil Young. I'll take your word for it that his repertoir is somewhat expanded...

JohnB 13 years, 12 months ago

Apparently, Saturday morning was a time for revery. My friend Ariel had this post http://bittersweetblue.blogspot.com/2007/04/saturday-morning-interlude.html about his morning in KC; and here in Wichita, I found myself rambling across two new footbridges that link the point of land where the Arkansas and Little Arkansas meet with the shores opposite (no post up yet, though). And I saw the first clutch of ducklings yesterday, too. I think Spring has arrived.

Weezy_Jefferson 13 years, 12 months ago

I was downtown yesterday, too, and appreciated all the street musicians. I think the "Freebird" guy is the same guy who also sings "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" whenever I stroll along Mass Street. I wish he'd broaden his play list; I'd love to hear "Lovin' You" by Minnie Ripperton....

Sarah Wallace 13 years, 12 months ago

He was singing Johnny Cash when I walked past.

Every winter I think about moving, and then spring comes and sucks me back in.

Weezy: There's one guy who has had "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" in heavy rotation for at least six years now; he was different from the MyMyGuy.

We need to make a list...

Sarah: Well said.

And John: I almost titled this "A Stretch of River." ; )

thetomdotdot 13 years, 12 months ago

Freebird guy might be different than Hey Hey My My guy, and I'm sorry we missed you, too, but I still carry cranial cracking echoes from the collision of parallel universes that occurred when we met, by pure dumb ass chance, the personage that we did meet on Saturday. I was starstruck into babbling stupidity, if you know what I mean.

It does NOT mean, though, that I don't still hate the B52s.

Sarah Wallace 13 years, 12 months ago

Joel - I looked for you on the Replay patio this evening. It was a good show and a fun crowd - except for some out of control kids running all over the place. Oh wait... they were all with me... Dammit!

Nick Spacek 13 years, 12 months ago

Somewhat-less-young guy is also fond of the Pink Floyd.

I've got the feeling that was really funny, but I didn't understand it.

thetomdotdot 13 years, 11 months ago

I will have to give SWLYG a better listen next time, and will sugggest the Ripperton on your behalf, Weezy.

Joel.

It's Tuesday.

You OK?

radarlove 13 years, 11 months ago

It was a splendid Saturday for walking downtown, and a great Sunday on the patio at Replay.

I think more people need to intro themselves to the street musicians and so can call them by their names, ie there's Guitar Dave, jazzman D, etc. There are real people behind those instruments and voices, get to know their stories and you've got material for several more blogs.

Have a great one, aka Global Nomad

Dotdot: Sorry. I was in management training all day -- surfing the net is kind of a no-no -- and I wasn't sure afterward how to squeeze out 400 words aboiut the majesty of employee evaluations.

radarAKAnomad: Good idea!

thetomdotdot 13 years, 11 months ago

"aboiut" Tired of mocking me, so you make fun of my wife, Nice, Joel, real nice.

thetomdotdot 13 years, 11 months ago

Is she ever, eh? (She also uses "nice" or "ever nice" as a rebuke).

But I don't get it. Why are you making fun of her if you didn't even know?

PS Foreign chicks are hot. The complexity of their roast is darker than the very air we breathe. I mean it.

PPSS This? This is what you get. 400 words starting to sound like a bargain?

"Foreign chicks are hot. The complexity of their roast is darker than the very air we breathe. I mean it."

You're telling me. I tried to get my wife to emigrate, then immigrate, for just such reasons. To no avail.

I make that joke only because I figure you're the only one reading at this point...

lori 13 years, 11 months ago

I'm still reading.

At least your wife speaks a foreign language, Joel; that makes her a bit more exotic, don't you think? In A Fish Called Wanda sort of style.

That's true. I met her a few days after she got back from a year in Germany, so... my plan worked!

Thanks for the framing, Lori. Now I find my hot wife even hotter!

leslie 13 years, 11 months ago

the whole Korean Hideaway as nostalgic comfort food for the days in Germany is a bit of a mind bender I enjoy