So...

... how much are you going to pay for the Radiohead album?After all, it's available [for download today][1] - assuming you can get in past all the traffic the site is getting - for whatever price you choose to pay.Me: Once I get in, I'm going in about $4. But I'm cheap. You? [1]: http://www.inrainbows.com/

Comments

Laura Watkins 14 years, 10 months ago

radiohead is worth a lot to me. i'm thinking $15 to show my support.

matt 14 years, 10 months ago

After no less than 20 attempts to get it and an hour of watching progress bars, I had a friend send it to me. If they want to revolutionize the way records are distributed, and let customers pick their price point, they damn sure better have the means to give paying customers preferential treatment over people who are just grabbing it. I had $15 dollars ready for a digital record, way more than normal price, and I ended up just taking it because of their broke ass retail servers. Also, while I appreciate the craftsmanship and riddling nature of their normal web presence, don't bring that to the retail site. I'm converting Euros to dollars and trying to make sure I'm not spending $100 on 10 songs here. The last thing I want is enigmatic retail.

If I was at a news stand with money in one hand, and my paper in the other, and the guy running the stand was ignoring me to watch other people just look at the headlines, eventually I'm going walk away with the paper, with out any guilt.

You want my money? Work for it. I'm too old to spend my day waiting for someone to pleasure me with their attention. In Radioheads own words, they're the dancing monkey show, not us.

Actually, speaking of working for it, 10 songs? WTF? It's been like 4 years since the last record and 2 since the last tour! I call shenanigans.

DOTDOT 14 years, 10 months ago

It's a good thing it wasn't Hannah Montana or you'd see what REAL traffic looks like.

Yeah, the server was a little slow for my tastes, but I finally got it to download. I paid 1 pound 61 pence for it, which Phil Cauthon assured me would (with the credit card surcharge) put me somewhere near the $4 I wanted to spend.

On the other hand, I think Radiohead just gave my credit card number to a Nigerian billionaire.

BTW Matt: I liked the price point on the REM tribute album. FREE! The New Orleans Instrumental was pretty awesome, I thought.

lazz 14 years, 10 months ago

I'll gladly pay 21 Lawrence REAL dollars tomorrow for a Radiohead album today.

Joel, what's up with the REM Tribute album?

matt 14 years, 10 months ago

Check one or two entries back on my blog - Hate The Player. I think you'll enjoy what you find there. I know I did. ("The More You Know" chime plays.)

Or just go download it from Stereogum.com

chewyfally 14 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to buy the whole big special package, with the records and everything. But they're my favorite band, so of course I'm going to pay up, because I love them to pieces.

Shelby 14 years, 10 months ago

$7

seems worth it....4 of the songs seem to suck donkey balls.