Michael Jackson, NPR and Mass Street drummers

Random stuff on my mind today...¢ [From The Guardian:][1]Michael Jackson teams up with Kanye West and will.i.am ... The rappers are helping Jacko with his comeback album and having boring telephone conversations with him.So, yeah. Discuss.¢ During a discussion on NPR this morning, an exchange that was simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking. I paraphrase:STEVE INSKEEP: There's a female activist in Iran who is heading the Campaign to Halt Stoning. What kind of country needs a campaign to stop stoning?GUEST: (Short pause.) A country ... that practices ... stoning.(Guest went on to say that Iran doesn't do stoning all THAT often.)¢ FINALLY: My friend Fally - a bosom buddy on Facebook who has literally not recognized me in real life, just a week ago - has not made a video about her favorite things in Lawrence. But she has [blogged about it][2] at 49abcnews.com. She writes about the street drummers:![][3]She writes:The guy in the rabbit mask is Curt Yazza. His buddy Jim Dandy is the lizard. Jim Dandy, what a cool name!These drummers also opted for buckets instead of "real" instruments. They were pretty good, totally wish I had a video camera on me at the time. I've seen those guys downtown. They ARE good. [1]: http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/inthenews/0,,2188750,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront [2]: http://www.49abcnews.com/blogs/i_heart_local_music/2007/oct/08/another_reason/ [3]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/cupojoel/curtyazza.jpg

Comments

Jo_s_mom 14 years, 10 months ago

Jim Dandy was the name used by the lead singer of Black Oak Arkansas, a rock group from the 1970s...unless my memory fails me. The name also figured prominently in one of their hit songs.

bloozman 14 years, 10 months ago

True. Black Oak did a cover of Lavern Baker's "Jim Dandy." Her version is wonderful.

lilchick 14 years, 10 months ago

They saaaaay Jim Dan-dy is...my...name! Nothing like a little BOA to perk me up in the morning....excuse me whilst I place Live Mutha on the turntable and raunch and roll!!

And Jo_s_mom, Black Oak Arkansas still tours around and the last time I saw them about 3 years ago they were still pretty d@mn good....

scenebooster:

Dap Kings: Better with Amy Winehouse or Sharon Jones?

I think I already know...

chewyfally 14 years, 10 months ago

Okay, first of all, it's not that I didn't recognize you, it's that I was gazing at (i.e. "checking out") the tall beautiful woman walking next to you.

Also, you were wearing a hat.

Furthermore, thanks for using my pics.

The end. :-)

alm77 14 years, 10 months ago

Michael Jackson teams up with Kanye West and will.i.am ...

Dear Jesus, please don't let E! make this into a reality TV show. Amen.

lazz 14 years, 10 months ago

And The Jim Dandy Stakes is a nifty Grade I thoroughbred race, 1 1/8 miles, $750,000, run on the first Saturday of the Saratoga summer meet, for 3-year-olds. Sets up the Travers Stakes, which is three weeks later. This year's winner was Street Sense, also winner of the Kentucky Derby. The Jim Dandy was named in honor of a nifty little horse named Jim Dandy, who in 1930 upset Triple Crown-winner Gallant Fox at odds of 100-1 in that year's Travers.

Jo_s_mom 14 years, 10 months ago

Chewfally, I certainly hope that tall beautiful woman beside Joel was my daughter! BTW, she's taken.

For the record:

¢ I sometimes like Kanye. He's catchy as hell.

¢ I know, Fally, but it's fun to make light of that incident.

¢ The tall beautiful woman WAS my wife. No worries.

¢ Jim Dandy to the rescue. Jim Dandy to the rescue.

Nick Spacek 14 years, 10 months ago

Those guys with the buckets annoy the hell out of me.

They're semi-talented, at best. Speed does not always equal skill.

Jocelyn Craft 14 years, 10 months ago

@Jester: Speed may not always equal skill, but these guys have accuracy as well, and do some fairly fun things with all those buckets. They're a sight better than many street 'musicians' currently gracing Mass. (Maracas come to mind.)