Avast

[From the New York Times:][1]![][2]As Somalia's rulers have struggled with an insurgency and political instability that culminated in the resignation of the prime minister on Monday, piracy has flourished off its shores. Experts say that there have been "many more" than the 26 attacks formally reported to the International Piracy Center this year, and new hijackings are reported with unfortunate frequency.*But the latest hijacking came with news that the United States Navy has now entered the fray. A distress call from a Japanese-owned chemical tanker, Golden Mori, found its way to the U.S.S. Porter, an American destroyer, which intercepted and then sank the two skiffs that the pirates used to reach the ship, according to CNN.*Now, the pirates have no obvious exit route, and another American destroyer, the Arleigh Burke is on their tail in Somali waters, which are usually something of a pirate refuge. This time, the American navy received permission to enter from the embattled transitional government.I'm gonna be honest: If I'd known there was a chance to chase down pirates, I totally would've joined the Navy. Stupid journalism. [1]: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/us-navy-said-to-chase-pirates-off-somalia/index.html?ex=1351396800&en=0b2ea33b180a8c98&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss [2]: http://www.happytimeclowns.com/pirate-thumb3-B.jpg

Comments

lazz 14 years, 9 months ago

William Langweisheizeheiiizeshez --- he with the impossible last name -- had a cover story on modern piracy in the Atlantic in the past year or so, and I think he followed it with a book.

chewyfally 14 years, 9 months ago

i'm terrified of pirates. have you seen "The Life Aquatic?!"

OtherJoel 14 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if the International Piracy Center is accepting resumes. Talk about a conversation starter:

"So what do you do?"

"I work for the International Piracy Center."

"Funny. No, really. What do you do?"

Lazz: Yeah, I saw that. Langwische(?) is amazing; I was sad he left the Atlantic for Vanity Fair, but not so sad I'm going to start buying Vanity Fair for any reason other than long plane trips.

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the best pirate photo ever up there.

lazz 14 years, 9 months ago

Hey Joel, something I've been meaning to ask you: What's the story with what might very well be the best pirate photo ever up there?

lazz 14 years, 9 months ago

Vanity Fair: Used to subscribe. Occasionally still read. Every issue has one or two superb articles, and yes, they have Langwischwizeieswishelwize. But a) i get tennis elbow ripping out the cards and heavy-paper-stock ads; b) it requires GPS and a search warrant to find the various tables of content pages; and c) the whole experience leaves me feeling vaguely ... consumerish...as if i'd just slurped down an Orange Julius cruising through Sam Goody Records and Chess King at Oak Park Mall ...

Chris Tackett 14 years, 9 months ago

when i saw that picture i immediately thought of the scene in Arrested Development (RIP) when Tobias dresses as a pirate, accidentally boards the boat full of homosexuals and then because of that decides to become an actor.

April Fleming 14 years, 9 months ago

Here's a link to a recent story from NPR's Morning Edition about pirates in Malaysia:

Opening line to the story: "Today's pirates are more likely to have Global Positioning Systems than parrots perched on their forearms."

bloozman 14 years, 9 months ago

Arrrrgh, matey. Back in my day, we perched our parrots on our shoulders, we did.

lazz 14 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of pirates --- my favorite Far Side cartoon:

Two pirates sitting in a bar. One has, of course, a peg leg. The other one, the guy pointing to his peg head, is saying, "Oh yeah? Well let me tell ya how I got this!"

Bill Woodard 14 years, 9 months ago

Best pirate pick-up line ever:

Prepare to be boarded....

Caterina Benalcazar 14 years, 9 months ago

Heh, heh, heh... You wanna be in the navy, heh heh heh...