Is Papa Keno's Dead?

![][1]First the death of [Joe's Donuts][2] and now today it looks like [Papa Keno's][3] may be dead as well. Big signs in front of the store state that the state of Kansas has seized the assets of Papa Keno's for failure to pay taxes. It is like some grand conspiracy to force us to eat healthy.

[1]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/campbell/kenos_seized.jpg [2]: http://www.lawrence.com/places/joes_b... [3]: http://www.lawrence.com/places/papa_k...

Comments

Marcy McGuffie 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh no! Honestly, I haven't been there much in recent years, but it's been the only place in the area that I can get NY style pizza when the craving hits. Though, the last time I had it, I didn't think it was nearly as special...Good link, feeble. The owner seems like a piece of work!

quisp 6 years, 7 months ago

"Dang... I hope the employees got paid."Seems unlikely-- he wasn't paying them BEFORE they closed down, so I kind of doubt he has the resources to pay them NOW.

MyName 6 years, 7 months ago

wow, this isn't cool at all. Unlike Joe's I actually liked to eat there on a regular basis. What's next? Rudy's? Yello Sub?Ugh, I think I'm going to have to learn to make greasy food at home now...

Mama 6 years, 7 months ago

sorry, that is "it would suck" to get another corporate...

smerdyakov 6 years, 7 months ago

Dang... I hope the employees got paid. And if Rudy's sees a spike in bidness, I hope the whole economies of scale thing drops their price back down to where I can afford to eat there again.

braden_quinn 6 years, 7 months ago

Lame!...I love Keno's, its a Lawrence Staple.

matt 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh noes! Where do I go now for my face sized slices?!?

6 years, 7 months ago

They took out Taco Tico down here in Fort Scott about a year ago, for ostensibly the same reason.Forget Uncle Sam. Aunt Kath gonna git her money.

Mama 6 years, 7 months ago

Too bad, the 'za USED to be nummy....but last few times - not so much.And while many townies might say it would such to get another corporate "chainstore bullsh*t factory" in the space, you can bet the corporate dudes would at least probably be paying their employees...and rent!

hankscorpio74 6 years, 7 months ago

this was inevitableeveryone that knew anyone who worked their probably heard about what a nightmare that place had becomeover the last few months they've had half a dozen managers quit, probably a dozen or two employees as wellan electrical fire revealed the building desperately needed to be brought up to codenone of the employees get paid on time or at their contracted wage (its become quite the "negotiation" process)there have been many days the store opened a few hours late... other times not at allthey've run out of pizza (well, cheese on one occasion) and just shut down earlyi even personally saw the owner hit one of his employees and chase him off the propertyi know some of their employees had stayed the course and really wanted to get the place back on trackbut you can't say that this was much of a surprise

feeble 6 years, 7 months ago

Papa Keno's is a franchise, right? So does this only affects the Lawrence store?Also:possible related story from feb:http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=5848332&version=1&locale=EN-US

lesleydiane 6 years, 7 months ago

About time. That's what you get for not paying rent OR your employees.

Shelby 6 years, 7 months ago

any word on the KC metro area locations?

md_pinks 6 years, 7 months ago

hopefully someone opens a Gambino's in it's place cause that would be sweet. it would be funny if they opened anything other than a pizza shop since there is no way in hell they're getting rid of the smell of that place.

faceplant 6 years, 7 months ago

marktrail 6 years, 7 months ago

at least no more keno's kickball thems were jerks

Gung 6 years, 7 months ago

Matt Toplikar 6 years, 7 months ago

beatleIf you're looking for good NY style pizza, you should go check out Johnny's (just over the bridge in north Lawrence). I don't think you can get it by the slice, but it's pretty damn good and has the thin & crispy crust you're looking for. The last time I checked they had a reasonably priced Monday special.Personally, Rudy's is my choice of za if I had to pick a favorite.

edie_ 6 years, 7 months ago

OtherJoel 6 years, 7 months ago

Shelby, if you're in KC, the Bronx is the way to go. But it seems as if Keenan's fucking things up in KC as well, so the whole chain's days are probably numbered. From a couple of months ago:http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1246069/"Papa Keno's Pizzeria opened in Waldo less than a year ago but recently has been "temporarily closed" for remodeling. Owner Greg Keenan said it could reopen as early as today but declined to comment further.Meanwhile, the Westport Papa Keno's is sporting two signs. One says: closed for remodeling and spring cleaning; the other: for lease. So which is it?"We still hold on to the lease," Keenan said. "We're not completely sure of the status of that store."But landlord Brent Lambi said he has filed to evict the pizzeria at 417 Wesport Road. "

Jill Ensley 6 years, 7 months ago

Now the bad 'tudes make sense.And all I can think of now when looking at that photo, with Eagle Eyes Surveillance proudly displayed, is this article:http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/20797485/chinas_allseeing_eye

chaosfreak007 6 years, 7 months ago

The pizza was ok but if people realized how much of a tool the owner was and the way he treated his employees you wouldn't feel so bad that this place went under. He probably should just pay his taxes and employees.

thomgreen 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh to have some disposable income. This would be great to buy. There's lot's of potential there.

Terry Bush 6 years, 6 months ago

For those who did not get paid their wages, there is a Kansas agency (Dept of Labor) that can take your wage claim and try to get some $$ out of the assets. After tax debts, wage claims have a very high piority, so it's at least worth your time to file the paper work. You have nothing to lose (but some time) AND it may result in you eventually getting paid some (if not all) of lost wages due to you! See http://www.dol.ks.gov/ES/HTML/wage_DEE.html for the info on how to file a wage claim.l

momsy 6 years, 6 months ago

Greg Keenan needs to pay my fucking friends, and stop taking advantage of good people.

Jason Barr 6 years, 6 months ago

Seriously....FUCK KENO'S! I worked there the last month of it's operation. More stress and drama in 4 weeks than I could possibly imagine. I couldn't pay my rent, because he NEVER paid me. Who supports local business that treat downtown and people like their personal urinal. If this place does survive, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS SLEAZE BAG! - JBARR

kentuckychrome 6 years, 6 months ago

the ones in KC (at least Westport and Overland Park) are SEIZED SEIZED SEIZED SEIZED SEIZED!Last few times I went there, it was pretty awful (dry & flavorless) anyway. Wheat State, Waldo Pizza, and Rudy's all get my biz.

Tarrant 6 years, 6 months ago

Just an update. From the rumor mill downtown - Papa's will be open Thursday by dinner time or Friday by lunch depending on how long it takes to get things going again.