Kawehi announces East Coast tour, Lawrence concert
After a breakout year for Kawehi, the Lawrence-based one-woman electronic band and all-around Internet sensation will kick off 2015 with a month-long tour of the East Coast, with a hometown show thrown in for good measure.
Kawehi received national attention earlier this year from publications like Esquire and Spin for her unique covers of Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" and Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees," as well as for the video for "Anthem" off her EP "Robot Heart." After seeing her cover of "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson, Diddy called her "dope," which we suppose accounts for something as well.
Coming off national and overseas tours in the summer and fall, she also launched a Kickstarter campaign for her new EP, "Evolution." The campaign was funded in one day and reached more than 10 times her original goal. Kawehi plans to release "Evolution" in early 2015.
Tickets for a Jan. 23 show at the Bottleneck, which will also feature Mouth and Wrong Kata Trio, are $10 and are available at thebottlenecklive.com. Here's the tour lineup so far, with additional dates to be added:
• Jan. 9 , Cambridge, Mass., Brighton Music Hall
• Jan. 10, Fairfield, Conn., Stage One at the Fairfield Theatre Company
• Jan. 11, New York City, Bowery Ballroom
• Jan. 14, Philadelphia, Boot & Saddle
• Jan. 15, Washington, D.C., U Street Music Hall
• Jan. 17, Raleigh, N.C., Kings Barcade
• Jan. 23, Lawrence, The Bottleneck
• Feb. 7, Decatur, Ga., Eddie’s Attic